We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

Which Pitlochry hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canadian rockies
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

We have 1 night to spend between Mallaig and Pitlochry. We would like to be able to be in Pitlochry by 9:00 for the start of the Highland games. Does anyone recommend a stopping point and/or accomadations someone close enough to Pitlochry to drive there by early morning? (We are already staying in Pitlochry for 2 nights so we want to stop somewhere on route to.

thanks so much.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
953 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

Kingussie might a be good choice (close to the junction of the A9 and A86 roads). Check the B&B recommendations on TA: tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g191251-c2-Kingussi…

It's about 45 miles from Kingussie to Pitlochry (along the main north-south A9 road, which is partly dual-carriageway). The drive would be well under one hour.

Edited: 5:15 pm, August 27, 2010
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

Is the glorious and increasingly seedy Tilt Hotel still going?

canadian rockies
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

Thanks so much for your recommendation. Sounds like it would be great.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

www.thesilverfjordhotelkingussie.co.uk

You could have a look at this one. We have eaten in it and the people were very friendly and accommodating.

Woody x

canadian rockies
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

Thanks for your recommendation Woodybark.

We will look into this. My only hesitation about kingussie is that we will be heading up that direction after our time in Pitlochry - so (we'd be doubling back) . I wondered about heading south from Mallaig and coming up south of Pitlochry - finding somewhere along that route.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

You could consider Kenmore. There are a couple of hotels there but I've not stayed in them. It's a beautiful spot though and you could drive south through Glencoe to get there.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

What about Killin? There is a hotel there

www.killin-hotel.com

It looks lovely on the website but I havent stayed there!

Here is another couple of ideas

www.craigard-hotel.co.uk

www.drumfinn.co.uk

You come down the A82 from Ft William going through Ballachulish then turn left along to Killin skirting Loch Tay. From there its about an hours drive max. to Pitlochry

W x

canadian rockies
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

Thanks Woodybark - I was looking at that exact route last night and looking into Killin, Kenmore etc. I think that's the route I'll take. Yeah....we leave in 4 days from Canada and I'm getting so excited.

Thanks for the input.

Edited: 1:32 pm, August 30, 2010
Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

Hope you have a wonderful trip - believe it or not we have a big high pressure area over the UK at the moment which they promise will last all week so maybe it will still be nice when you arrive. Hope you enjoy The Games whatever the weather....I'm excited for you:-)))

regards

Woody x

Pitlochry, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: B&B's or hotels between Mallaig and Pitlochry???

If you are thinking of Kenmore why not look at the Kenmore Hotel, they claim to be the oldest Inn in Scotland and it is a lovely old place. Have never stayed there but been to lunch and dinner lots of times and never been disappointed. Lovely village on the Loch and the hotel overlooks the river. Only 15mins from Pitlochry. Or stay in Pitlochry at East Haugh House Hotel....now that's nice!!! (3mins from town centre). Or the Killiecrankie Hotel, thats another nice one, and the Green Park. Actually the Pines in Pitlochry is very nice too....