We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our weekend in Pitlochry

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
778 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Our weekend in Pitlochry

Thanks to those who replied to my post looking for advice for a weekend in Pitlochry.

Well we went last weekend via the tourist route stopping at Muthill a lovely little quaint village of which there were several on the way.

The weather was very kind to us, not warm, but clear with no rain.

With an easybreaks dinner bed and breakfast deal, we stayed in the Acarsaid hotel and were well pleased with our choice. Food was excellent, and we would highly recommend this little place, which is within easy walking distance of the town.

We visited the fish ladder and dam, and although there were a few fishermen out, we didn't see any salmon, just a couple of ducks. Bit too early in the year I think.

We then did the tour of the eradour whisky distillery, and very enjoyable and informative it was. My husband, a malt man was impressed with eradour, while I enjoyed the creamed stuff. Nice but still prefer Bailleys. Of course we bought some to take home.

We then went to the Moulin for lunch......thanks to those who recommended it. Lovely little olde worlde inn, with a roaring fire and excellent food.

In the afternoon, we went to the Killiecrankie pass and it was a lovely walk, with the sun shining we had great views into the gorge and river. Had never heard of the Soldiers Leap, and that was interesting.

Was disappointed to find the A9 has been built through the battlefield of Killicrankie and there was nothing to tell us where the actual battle took place, so was unable to 'picture' the 'Braes of Killiecrankie o'.

But it didn't take much away from the visit.

We had 'phoned the Taybank in Dunkeld and was told there was no entertainment planned for Saturday night,(but after the whisky tasting and wine for lunch, we would have needed to take a taxi), so we settled for Karioke in the Drummondn pub, and after some more refreshments, well it was fine.

Shame, that some of the bars or hotels don't have any Scottish folk music on. Although out of season, the town was busy with tourists, and several B and B's we passed were showing no vacancy signs. I believe music of that sort would attract many tourists.

On the way home, we went into Bannockburn, which is just 5 minutes off the motorway, to view the Bruce statue which is very impressive.

And 5 minutes from home, it started to rain!!!

Thanks again to all for your replies and help, we really enjoyed the weekend.

Bethspoon

1. Re: Our weekend in Pitlochry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 19, 2009