We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in October

Sheffield
Level Contributor
88 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in October

Being from England I know that the weather is unpredictable wherever you are, but my husband and I might travel up to the Orkneys in October. Not bothered about the warm weather but are there chances of some sunny days even at that time of the year. I am aware that it can be very windy. Also, will tourist sights still be open as I presume this is the end of the main tourist season. If we don't come then, we may come in May/June.

Thanks

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in October

Of course you may get sunny days :) The archaeological sights are open, with slightly reduced hours.

The wind is usually the factor and can interfere with ferry sailings more frequently in winter but the vast majority of sailings go ahead as normal.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in October

Also check the hours of daylight especially towards the end of October as that will limit your ability to see the sights and will be considerably shorter than the times for Sheffield. May or June would give you much longer days.

northwest
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in October

We are planning to visit Orkneys in May/June 2017 - do we have to book hotels well in advance - or can we wait til, say, l January 2017? Also Skara Brae and other sites do we have to book in advance for these as well?

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in October

I had a day trip form JOG there last July. It was a great day out - we went on an organised tour, which isn't usually our thing, but it was worthwhile.

The sea was very calm going out (I'm not a great sailor). It was c 17 degrees when we were there and overcast, but only a light shower. We returned at c 6.30pm. The wind had got up, which made it a very unpleasant ferry crossing back for c a dozen or more people, with the boat pitching wildly. We got back to 13 degrees in JOG and switched on the news to hear about record temperatures at Wimbledon! With the weather following no particular pattern these days, it's difficult to predict when would be best. If you are photographers, May and June see too much daylight to get the best out of the light at sensible hours.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,817 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in October

Check the Orkney tourist website but the main event at that time of the year is the Orkney Folk Festival.

northwest
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in October

thanks folks, no idea why I posted this in 'weather in october' thanks for your replies anyway.

7. Re: Weather in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 13, 2017