We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip to Arran this weekend! Help, I am confused!

Clemmons, North...
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute trip to Arran this weekend! Help, I am confused!

We are an American family who are living in Glasgow for a year. We are trying to see as much of Scotland before we leave. Last night my husband decided that we should go to Arran for the weekend. So now I am trying to research everything I need to know, but I seem to be getting confused (which is easy for me to do)! Is there more than one ferry to Arran? If so, where is the best place to catch it? Also, should we bring our car? We have two kids with us, a 4 & 6 year old. I hear the bus system is great, but do they go to most of the "touristy" places? We are also thinking of staying in one the the youth hostels. Is there one that is more central than the other. What are the major "to do" things, keeping in mind that we will have kids with us? Any other suggestions or information would be great!

Thanks,

Cari

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip to Arran this weekend! Help, I am confused!

Cari

I can help you with the ferry - you want the Ardrossan to Brodick ferry - the other ferry is a small crossing at the North of the island which connects Arran to the Kintyre Peninsula.

Enjoy your weekend...

Clemmons, North...
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip to Arran this weekend! Help, I am confused!

Thanks, that helps!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,724 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip to Arran this weekend! Help, I am confused!

calmac.co.uk - will give you the ferry details. You can get to Ardrossan Harbour(!) by train from Glasgow, or you can drive to Ardrosan (about 30 inutes from E Kilbride), and decide to take or leave your car. OR..... you can drive 3 hours through stunning scenery to the Mull of Kintyre to Claonaig and get the small ferry to Lochranza (which has a Youth Hostel, I believe).

The buses go around the island, and funnily enough, that is where the villages are (none in the interior). A car will cost you a fair bit to take on the ferry, but will give you great flexibility. Just driving round teh coast road will take at leats half a day. Then you may want to revisit some places for a longer look.

As for "touristy", well, it depends on what you mean. Brodick (very central) has the most attractions - castle; castle grounds (lots of activities for kids)); sports like golf; crazy golf; water sports; bike hire; shops near the castle such as Arran Aromatics; a great cheese shop; Creelers fish restaurant; gift shops etc.. And there is the Auchrannie leisure centre with full facilities.

I don't suppose the kids would be interested in a tour of the distillery, but in Lochranza, there is another good castle (more a ruin), and deer wandering the streets. The island is superb for good walks, from gentle strolls to serious mountain hikes. You should be able to find one to suit.

I've just scratched the surface - try www.visitarran.net

enjoy!

4. Re: Last minute trip to Arran this weekend! Help, I am confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Arran