We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire on Isle of Arran

Johannesburg
1 post
Save Topic
Car hire on Isle of Arran

carless from SA

My cousin and I are travelling to Glasgow by train, then on to Arran. An address for booking the Boat train from Glasgow to Brodick? Also any suggestions on Car Hire?

Thanks

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire on Isle of Arran

Not sure about the term "Boat train"- if you mean what I'd call a ferry, try this:

www.calmac.co.uk/summer-timetable.html…

You'd need to get from Glasgow to Ardrossan- around 30 miles. You could hire a car in Glasgow (perhaps cheaper), drive to Ardrossan and take it on the ferry- for more than GBP30 each way, though- and have the car for Arran and the return to Glasgow OR here's a link to some info about car hire on Arran itself:

destination-scotland.com/carhire/town.asp…

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire on Isle of Arran

Now I get it, duh! The CalMac site shows the train connection times from Glasgow to Ardrossan. Look at SW Scotland on this page:

firstgroup.com/scotrail/…index.php

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire on Isle of Arran

Fantastic! At long last someone has the taste to go to Arran; it's lovely. If you bomb out on car hire on the island, you could try Adrossan itself. It's a small town but as a port may have car hire.

If you do hire in Glasgow or elsewhere on the mainland, make sure you ARE allowed to take the car off the mainland and on to the island; may or may not be an issue but best to be sure.

If you're going as a foot passenger, I don't think you need to book.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire on Isle of Arran

There seems to be a car hire place at Brodick by the ferry terminal, but no website that I can find.

Contact details are at the bottom of the first paragraph on this useful site:

www.ayrshirescotland.com/towns/arran.html

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,911 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire on Isle of Arran

As an Arranphile...:-)

Yes - there's a garage on the pier that rents cars, although I've only ever seen Smart cars there.

Not entirely essential as there is a good bus service and walking/cycling are good ways to get around.

When are you going? Taking a car on the ferry is very expensive compared to being a foot passengers.

Any Arran questions, fire away. I'll be there in May. Counting the days....

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire on Isle of Arran

Taking the car across on the ferry is really expensive and as suggested earlier there is a garage right at the ferry on Arran that does hire cars, but i'm pretty sure it only has 1 or 2 cars so may be worth tracking down in advance. You'll not need to book your train tickets in advance but do book the ferry as even as foot passengers it can get very busy depending on the time of year.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Level Contributor
65 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire on Isle of Arran

There is a very good bus service all around the island and for about 4 pounds you can buy a day-ticket, which gives you unlimited travel all day.

Whatever you do, do not hire a car on the mainland and take it over to Arran on the boat (expensive!!) as you would be cheaper travelling by taxi everywhere.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire on Isle of Arran

Is this mandatory advance booking for the train a new thing? When I went to Arran (God bless this island), all one had to do was to show up at the train station, buy the ticket, get off at Ardrossan HARBOUR station, then walk 2 minutes, buy the ticket for the ferry, and go.

Unless money is really not a problem with you, I concur with those suggesting not to hire a car on the continent: way too expensive to cross over. Either make prior arrangements with the small local agency in Brodick, or else use the bus: buses are waiting for you at the pier when you arrive. The essential timetables booklet is available on the buses and also at the Tourist Office at the same pier, you cannot miss it. During the week, at day time, you may also complement the regular buses by using the Post buses (which bring you to a few places the regular buses won't) - more infos on these in the same timetables pamphlet.

Lamlash, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire on Isle of Arran

Car hire is available from the following companies on the island:

Alba car Hire, Whiting Bay Garage 01770 700345

Arran Transport, The Pier Brodick 01770 302121

Blackwaterfoot Garage 01770 860277

It is expensive to take a car over on the boat, and you would need to book ahead with calmac (site mentioned by previous posters). If travelling by public transport, you do not need to make bookings at all, for either the train or the boat.

It is handy, but not essential, to have a car on Arran. The bus service is fairly good for the main villages, Monday to Saturday.

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire on Isle of Arran

Thanks for all this helpful information! I am taking my family of 5 to Arran in July. Not taking a car, and the only place we could afford to stay is at the Corrie Hotel. Please post any info you think we should know when you return. I'll do the same for the next traveler.

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Arran