We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Greenock to Glasgow

Charlotte, North...
1 post
Save Topic
Train from Greenock to Glasgow

. Has anyone taken the train from Greenock (cruise passengers) to Glasgow and hired a car from Glasgow? Is the train station within walking distance from the port?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Greenock to Glasgow

Train station is approx 4 minutes in a cab, probably a good 10-12 minutes walk.

Train takes around 40 minutes to Glasgow Central and there are 2-3 per hour most of the day.

Where do you intend to go with a car as if staying in Glasgow you won't need it, actually more of a hindrance!!!

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,046 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Greenock to Glasgow

I imagine most cruise passengers hiring a car would pick it up at Greenock.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Greenock to Glasgow

This has come up before.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere in Greenock.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,046 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Greenock to Glasgow

That surprises me, I thought at least one firm would have a presence at the Terminal when a cruise is due in. Even if only to take people to a nearby car hire base.

I know Enterprise would pick people up and deliver them back to the Terminal.

London
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Greenock to Glasgow

The best choice of car hire is at Glasgow airport - which is actually located 15 miles away in Paisley (between Greenock and Glasgow). The train from Greenock to Glasgow stops in Paisley - though you'd need a bus/taxi into the airport. Car hire depots in the centre of Glasgow are smaller, less choice, have shorter opening hours and aren't particularly near Central station.

If you're only in port for a few hours - I don't think you have enough time to do this.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Greenock to Glasgow

Enterprise have an office under Central Station located in the NCP in Oswald St, and although I say under Central Stn it's actually the approach tracks and as such a 5 minute walk from the main Concourse.

Again I would question a hire car if staying in the City for the day!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,877 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Greenock to Glasgow

There is an Arnold Clark branch 10 mins walk from Paisley St James station on the same line that would take you to Glasgow anyway and only 25 minutes from Greenock. That would be easier & quicker than going into Glasgow or going to the airport.

I presume you are wanting to tour the area for the day or something because as Madscotsman says you won't need a car in Glasgow.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,877 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Greenock to Glasgow

>>I imagine most cruise passengers hiring a car would pick it up at Greenock.<<

It is strange that there is not one car rental place in Greenock. It is quite a large place so you would have thought with that and the cruise ships coming in there would be enough business for one but maybe it is just not viable.

There used to be a small Avis concession in a local hotel but that shut down.

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
422 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Greenock to Glasgow

There was an Enterprise in Inverclyde (the wider area Greenock is in) up until a few years ago but closed down. There is a van hire place in Gourock (next town) and they have 9 seater vans. In terms of vehicle hire in Inverclyde for the cruise ships, most of these cruises are in for about 12 hours, I'd imagine only a small percentage would want to hire a car against people using the organised trips or making their own way to Glasgow/Edinburgh and an even smaller number staying local or going to other places.

10. Re: Train from Greenock to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, January 15, 2018