We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Nairn for one day from Aberdeen

Which Nairn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
2 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Nairn for one day from Aberdeen

As flights are a lot cheaper from London to Aberdeen than from London to Inverness (as well as they leave for Heathrow and is a more regular service so I can pick the times I want to fly) I am planning to fly into Aberdeen and then hire a car to drive to Nairn.

My question is, how long is the drive ? It appears to be about 70 miles on the map, but I assume the road is not the M2.

Is it a scenic drive, as I have never been to Scotland before and would like to see a bit of the countryside ?

Lastly, is there like peak hour traffic issues around Aberdeen airport ? I assume Nairn does not havedpeak hour issues with traffic.

thanks

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Nairn for one day from Aberdeen

Hi there. Nairn will take about 1:30 to drive. Although it's only 70 miles it's not the best road in the world; it is mostly single file traffic. However, it does have the odd overtaking lane which reduces frustration when you're stuck behind a bus or lorry!

There are a few places to stop en route for a cup of coffee and a look at the scenery if you want.

The main road out of the airport is on the road you will need to go north to Nairn (A96) so you don't need to go into the city at all and therefore rush hour will not really be a problem for you.

Hope you enjoy your stay up here.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Nairn for one day from Aberdeen

Note also that there is a shuttle bus service from the airport to Dyce Train station ( www.nestrans.org.uk/docs_info/docs_info.asp… ) where you can get an Inverness bound train that calls at Nairn.

3. Re: Visiting Nairn for one day from Aberdeen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nairn
Recent Conversations