We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heart of Scotland tours

uk
2 posts
Save Topic
Heart of Scotland tours

Has anyone else ever had a bad experience with Heart of Scotland Tours? I went on one of their day tour to Loch Ness last month (July 2006). The brochure looked good and the description of the tour exciting, but on the day a very different story! The bus was fine although obviously well used but the driver, well. In the brochure it states to be at the meeting point well before the tour is due to start. We arranged a taxi and arrived 20min early. The tour bus arrived 3min after the stated departure time. When the bus door finally opened we were greeted by a scruffy man who looked (and smelt) like he and just left the pub! To our surprise the morning went rather well and due to a few well rehearsed jokes, set a president. We enjoyed our lunch in the highlands and a cruise on Loch Ness; however the afternoon was a different story. Our driver insisted on playing VERY loud music (not Scottish) even after been asked to turn it down twice by two separate passengers. We believe he was obviously in a rush to get back to Edinburgh as he insisted driving at speeds which made all the passengers feel unsafe and made not one but three overtake maneuvers causing other drivers to swerve or brake!!! At this point he was asked to slow down, to which he replied “I’ve been driving for years and know the roads” Well he may know the roads but sure didn’t know how to drive! We just could not believe he was taking such chances with so many lives at risk. It was certainly not the enjoyable day out to the highlands that we had expected.

Mentioned in this post
Heart of Scotland Tours
Heart of Scotland Tours
2,563 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,281 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heart of Scotland tours

Oh dear, this is not good news.

I hope you have reported back to the head office of this company and told them about your experience. Sounds like they need to know about www.prideandpassion.net

Scotland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heart of Scotland tours

I own Heart of Scotland Tours and am obviously concerned to see this posting. We pride ourselves on quality driver/guiding and have been awarded 5 stars by Visit Scotland. The person who wrote this posting hasn't contacted me directly so at this stage I would like to know the exact date of travel so I can look into the matter. Please contact me as soon as possible.

Mentioned in this post
Heart of Scotland Tours
Heart of Scotland Tours
2,563 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
goteborg
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Heart of Scotland tours

I went on a Heart of Scotland tour this summer and certainly don't share your views. In fact it was a fantastic trip to loch ness for many reasons.

The bus was maybe not brand new but very comfortable and clean. The guide was just brilliant. Ok he didn't wear a suit, but I liked that. There was nothing he didn't know about Scotland. We got legends, history, hilarious stories and information about the landscape. The place was brought alive by him.

I think one of the good things about the trip is that Heart of Scotland tours stopped off at places for walks etc, when other coaches just sped past. Our driver was actually very careful, but the crazy tourist traffic made things hectic sometimes. We never felt at risk.

We got Scottish music all the way up to Loch Ness, some of it really made the hairs stand on your head, it really added to the landscape. Then after the boat trip, which is a must by the way, we were treated to an ecletic mix of soft celtic and modern music. I'll never forget the momeny our guide played coldplay's fix you as we were passing a loch.

The day was rounded off by a nice plate of haggis at our evening dinner stop and our guide had us laughing so much as we arrived into Edinburgh that our sides hurt!!

I'd recommend Heart of Scotland tour to anyone. It was quite simply one of the best tours I've ever been on which is why I felt I had to reply to this message.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,281 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Heart of Scotland tours

Please see Customer Comments on our website to see how happy people are with Heart of Scotland Tours. I don't really need to say much more.....

edinburgh
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Heart of Scotland tours

well i went on a tour with heart of scotland in october and it was just amazing. I've been on other tours and they didn't give me the information and entertainment that I got with the Heart of Scotland guide.

i think the difference is that heart of scotland is owned and run by a local guy who has built his company up with passion and a real love of his country. he doesn't ripp people off likr some other tours, it's been a labour of love.

i live in edinburgh now and always go with heart of scotland tours. The guides we've had have a ll been local guys with total commitment to their job. they were storytellers, historians, geologists, comics and real helpful. When relatives come I recommend heart of scotland tours. It's the best!!! By far, and I know!!!

Kirsty

Mentioned in this post
October
October
661 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,983 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heart of Scotland tours

Welcome to the forum Kirsty - which of the trips have you been on - it would be good to get some more specific recommendations.

Sydney
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Heart of Scotland tours

Based on the recommendation of several friends my wife and I travelled with Heart of Scotland Tours a few weeks ago. The tour and the guide were outstanding. Our guide (Tim) was not only extremely informative and amusing but clearly a very experienced and careful driver. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

8. Re: Heart of Scotland tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:25 am, August 19, 2009