We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus from london to inverness

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
bus from london to inverness

hi im a student traveling from london to inverness via bus. how to i get to loch ness? is there any fees i need to know about? what is there to do besides look at the loch? castles?

Loch Ness
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: bus from london to inverness

RE Bus, train, plane...Ive done them all.

Bus - can be the cheapest option of course, but like many others I would only take it again if it was my LAST resort .....but if you are hardy, and can sleep through anything then it is viable (nb - National Express should keep you on the same bus for the whole journey...but be warned, Mega Bus may make you change...when I last took it from Inverness to London we had a nice comfy coach to Perth, and then they decanted us onto a bendy bus with hard seats for the remainder of the journey...I kid you not!...then again - the fare was something silly like £3! )

Sometimes the plane seems like a deal, both cost and time wise, but once you have factored in the travel time and cost to the airport, hanging around security and check in time there is often not allot in it - on the plus side - there is now a regular bus transfer service into Inverness at about £3.50 (approx 20 mins) and air time to Inverness is approx 1 hour 40.

Which leaves the trains - My favourite way to travel.

Daytime from Kings Cross approx 8 hours <pre book a table seat by the window facing travel & bring your won pic-nic and a wee bottle of wine

Sleeper from Euston approx 10 hours

I LOVE the sleeper. If you snag a bargain berth then you are paying as little as £19 but these are harder and harder to secure (silly telling people all about this! - should've kept it a secret!)

You MAY have to share - but its always same sex and if the train is not full and you ask nicely enough the stewards may help you out.

Bonus? No luggage allowance, you can meet the most interesting people in the lounge car, and when you wake up you are treated to the best views and you have the whole day ahead of you! Only down side? For some reason train tea/ coffee uses water that is super heated to the temperature of the core of the sun - which for some may not be a bad thing.

Once you get yo Loch Ness? Have a look at www.visitlochness.com for ideas.

I hope that you have a fantastic trip!

12. Re: bus from london to inverness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, August 31, 2015