We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four hours in Fort William

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Four hours in Fort William

I will be arriving to Fort William at 1 pm from Portree by bus and leaving for Glasgow by train around 5 pm. How would you suggest me to spend these four hours in Fort William?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four hours in Fort William

There is a fascinating little museum in the town. I think its called the West Highland Museum, I remember it as being right in the middle of the town.

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
396 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four hours in Fort William

I second the West Highland Museum! It really is a nice little museum. There is a waterfront and you can walk down there for some lovely views. I haven't eaten in Ft. William so can't recommend anything unless the church is still offering lunch for a decent price to finance their new roof!

Elgin, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Four hours in Fort William

Fortwilliam has perhaps the largest selection of pubs per square foot of any other town in the North of Scotland. I would recommend you start with a drink in The Crofter opposite the Royal Bank of Scotland and work your way down the high street visiting every pub until you reach The Ben Nevis bar then come back the way towards the train station. This will give you an insight into the welcoming, multi cultural population who are fortunate enough to reside in this beautiful little town. It will also help make your 4hr train journey a little more bearable. Enjoy!!

Edited: 10:30 am, March 27, 2013
San Diego...
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four hours in Fort William

After reading your post I am so glad I decided to stay in Fort William. My husband will be so happy about your pub crawl idea after we get done hillwalking.

5. Re: Four hours in Fort William

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:39 pm, April 08, 2013
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,115 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four hours in Fort William

Look at the www.walkhighlands.com site for Fort William. There's a nice short walk over to Inverlochy Castle (in ruins) which starts right at the end of town. Steall Falls is a beautiful hike but you'd need to take a taxi to and from the start. You'd still have time for that pub, though!

And don't worry--Fort William isn't the prettiest or most charming town in Scotland, but its not unappealing.

7. Re: Four hours in Fort William

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 29, 2014