We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort William or Oban?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fort William or Oban?

Travelling along the West coast in June as couple and wondered if areas around Oban or Fort William were best base for 2-4 days stopover? We like walking and sight-seeing and eating nice food and live music and quiet too! Thought about Mallaig train for one day outing and boat to Mull. Any advice appreciated!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort William or Oban?

That's difficult.

Fort William has fabulous opportunities for outdoor activities, like walking, climbing, mountain-biking, and great mountain and loch scenery. But the town itself is a wee bit disappointing.

Oban is great for island access, as you allude, and as a destination so much prettier, with many more attractive restaurants and pubs. It also suffers from being a bit touristy, but nothing like Edinburgh!

If it was me, I'd choose Oban. Ferries and trips to islands are magical, in my opinion. And the social scene in usually a bit lively in Oban.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort William or Oban?

Oban is best for visiting Mull. Fort William is best for taking the train to Mallaig. Choices, choices!

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort William or Oban?

Oban's pub and live music scene is probably better than F.William's. I also think Oban would be your best bet.

(Nothing like B'ham by the way! :o)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort William or Oban?

I too would choose Oban. Not too difficult to get to Tyndrum or Fort William for the train to Mallaig.

That's another choice of course. The FW-Mallaig train has great views. However various places along the way are worth stopping: Glenfinnan viaduct is much more spectacular from below, train thundering overhead. Then there's the Glenfinnan monument to Prince Charlie; and the are the beaches at Arisaig and Morar. And a lot of attractive lochside views ...

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort William or Oban?

Thanks so much for that advice all of you - very precise and just what we needed for a heads-up!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort William or Oban?

Oban. Fort William (itself) is a dump (IMHO)!

Edited: 4:15 pm, February 26, 2013
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort William or Oban?

Oban definitely, lots to do in the area and a great base for many of the islands, there is nothing wrong with Fort William but it has the feel of a frontier town.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort William or Oban?

If you are staying in Oban I would thoroughly recommend a boat trip on Loch Etive.

Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort William or Oban?

Thanks again for the further advice. We have now booked in Oban and are intending to go on boat and train trips! Really useful to have all your honest opinions to guide us! Kind regards to you all!

10. Re: Fort William or Oban?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 01, 2014