We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacobite train versus National Railway

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
World
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Jacobite train versus National Railway

There's a whacking price difference between the Jacobite train trip (Fort William-Mallaig return) and the regular National Railway fare for the same trip.

The Jacobite train day return fare ranges from 32GBP for a standard fare to 55GBP for 1st class. The National Rail fare is around 13-14GBP for a standard return fare.

I'd be grateful for answers to these questions:

a) is the price differential really worth it for the Jacobite standard day return fare as opposed to the National Rail option? What are the benefits?

b) considering the Jacobite option, is the price differential worth it for the 1st class day return fare (55GBP) as compared to the standard day return fare (32 GPB)? What are the benefits of 1st class?

c) the Jacobite website only appears to be offering day return tickets. If there is an overnight return option, how does one access it ? The only choice I've found so far is to purchase two singles (at 27GBP each way for standard tickets and 50 GBP each way for 1st class). Yikes!

c) if there a 1st class option on the National Rail train, how does one access this, as it does not appear to be offered by the website?

d) Finally, will our car and it's contents be safe if we leave our car in the Fort William station car park while we are on the train ad in Mallaig (possibly overnighting in Mallaig.

Many thanks

Edited: 2:33 pm, July 01, 2012
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jacobite train versus National Railway

The Jacobite train is basically like trains used to be. It's a heritage service hauled by a steam locomotive in roomy 1950's built carriages with large windows. It is a seasonal tourist operation.

If you simply wanted to commute between destinations or wanted a lower price you can enjoy the hard seating and all round plastic of a cramped "Sprinter" train with the veiwing capacity of a letter box.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,685 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jacobite train versus National Railway

Why don't you drive to Mallaig, which has the advantages of allowing you to take some stunning photos of the train, saving you money, and keeping your belongings safe?

Mallaig is tiny, and I'm not sure it warrants an overnight stay, but that depends on the rest of your trip.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jacobite train versus National Railway

Apart from the price, the big advantages of the the National Rail service are that it connects to the ferry to the Isle of Skye and the windows are bigger - though as they don't open photography can be problematical. Note that under some circumstances (eg long periods of dry weather - ha) the Jacobite will be pulled by a diesel train

seat61.com/…20Mallaig

seat61.com/…20Mallaig

World
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jacobite train versus National Railway

Alanrow, you say that the window size is one advantage of Natrail but henneth indicates the Natrail commuter cars have "the viewing capacity of a letterbox" while the Jacobite train has large windows. Should I be confused?

I looked at the picture of the Sprinter train carriage on the seat61 link provided by Alanrow, and it didn't look so bad - especially for the relatively short journey involved. Am I missing something?

Peterscot, driving is certainly an option but I understand the rail trip has better scenery. What do you think?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jacobite train versus National Railway

Sprinter windows are smaller than those on the Jacobite train. If you are happy about that, you will still get a view but no where near as good as that on the Jacobite train, which will have windows which will have been lovingly wiped by a cloth by rail enthusiasts as opposed to being left with filthy muck sprayed all over the window which you might find on the National Rail service.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,685 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jacobite train versus National Railway

The scenery is virtually identical. If you look at a map the road and rail follow much the same route.

If you want fantastic scenery that can't be seen from the road, try the other direction from Fort William, across Rannoch Moor. Have one of your party pick you up at Tyndrum, and return through Glencoe....

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,701 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jacobite train versus National Railway

a) No

b) No

ci) Don't know

cii) There is no 1st class on the National Rail train

d) If you lock it, yes it will be safe.

Don't take no 5 above too seriously!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jacobite train versus National Railway

d) Fort William station had 1 crime report in Feb 2011. That's the only crime report for the last two years at the station (and it wasn't vehicle or robbery-related anyway). (BTP website)

Level Contributor
3,391 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jacobite train versus National Railway

Sprinter windows are smaller than those on the Jacobite train.

---

Thats a misleading post. They are still very large, we arent talking Pendolino narrow slits

Personally I wouldnt even consider the Jacobite, the journey is about the view. And spending 3 times the money to get the SAME VIEW just seems an utter waste to me

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jacobite train versus National Railway

did the journey on Jacobite. loved it Onthe return trip people sitting across the aisle swopped seats with us so we got to see both sides of track scenery breathtaking But would not do it again next trip by national rail and save a bit of cash