We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
GinnyinUK
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

Hi, my partner and I are trying to plan a 10 day - 14 day trip from Kent to Skye in Scotland and back. We've just become members of the National Trust, so thought we would take advantage of all the wonderful places to visit but don't know where to begin. I had thought of leaving Kent for York but realise this would be too much in one day plus sightseeing. Idea was the following: Kent, somewhere half way to York (1 night), York (1 night), Edinburgh (2 nights), Loch Lomond (2 nights), Fort William(1 night), Skye (2 nights), and then back down south via the Lake Districts and back home to Kent. Was suppose to be a cruise to Alaska this year, but daughters just told us she's getting married early next year, so we're on a budget. Travelodge are doing offers at the Cockermouth, and Penrith lodges and then in Edinburgh theres a wide selection of travelodges. Anyone know of any in the Loch Lomond, Fort William area?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

None in either the Skye area or Ft William

Scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

There is a Premier Inn in Fort William and it is doing offers at the moment.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

Have you thought about Stamford area for your first overnight? Although there aren't travelodges in Stamford itself there are some around either Perterborough or Grantham, or there are plenty of B&Bs which may work out as cheap as Travelodge, unless you manage to get a £19 deal on them.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

Your route looks good as far as Edinburgh, but I'm not sure why you're spending 2 nights at Lomond and 1 at Fort William? You may well have good reason - to see specific NT sites, perhaps? - which is fair enough, but if you're just heading to these places because they're on the major 'tourist route', then I'd maybe reconsider staying there.

Lomond's about a 75 minute drive from Edinburgh (to Alexandria at the Southern end) and you can drive up the West side of the loch enjoying the views, stop off somewhere nice like Luss and then head onto Glen Coe, for example. I mention Glen Goe, as opposed to Fort William, because it's nicer, and Alexandria to Glen Coe will only take you about 90 minutes or so.

Regarding budget accommodation, take a look at the Tailrace Inn at Kinlochleven, (10 minutes from Glencoe village). I stayed there last weekend (again) and would highly recommend it. Reviews here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Search?q=tailrace+Inn

You could, if you wanted to, stop there for a night or two instead of Lomond? I am not taking account of National Trust sites that may interest you here because there are simply too many, but if there are any you particularly want to see, let us know.

Moving North from Kinlochleven, you could head to, for example, Glenfinnan. You can get a really interesting budget room there in an old railway carriage at Glenfinnan station. It's an interesting experience, and the Hogwart's Express passes right through the station if you fancy a wee trip. :) Lovely local area with loads of historic buildings.

From there, to Skye, where you can get more 'interesting' budget accommodation in the old converted school at Portnalong. You can get your own room - as you can in the railway carriage - but no en suite. Other parts of the old school are converted into a study/games room/kitchen area... and great walks in the immediate area, including Talisker Bay.

Just a few suggestions, but get back to us with any specific plans and there are plenty folk here who will help you out with details.

GinnyinUK
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

Thanks for that, saves me researching. Ive had good advice from others and will be following up

GinnyinUK
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

Great, I'll take a look. Thanx

GinnyinUK
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

Thanx for advice, I'll look into B&B. Cheers

GinnyinUK
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

Great advise, thank you. printed it all off and will endeavour to research this weekend, maybe not, just remembered, got a wedding fair to go to!! I've got maps all over the place, s excited to be planning this trip, can't wait to actually explore beautiful Scotland. I'll keep you posted. Gin

scotland
Level Contributor
255 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

Something else worthwhile considering is the SYHA - there are some gorgeous hostels & it can be a good way to bed on a budget and meet some like-minded people into the bargain.

Enjoy!

GinnyinUK
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kent to Skye - advise needed pls

Hi, got a minute? my itinerary is something like this: day 1 kent to york, overnight, york to edinburgh 2 nights to explore, edinburgh to alexandria via west side of loch lomond as advised. 2 days at kinlocheven, then onto glenfinnan for 2 nights and from there to skye.

Coming back: skye to ? before going onwards to the lake district. I had thought of Galloway Forest but ideally I need somewhere half way from skye to the lake district, any ideas? The Tailrace Inn is great, I'm gona try and book that once i've got my itinerary 100%.

Kind regards

Gin