We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Glasgow

Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Glasgow

After landing at the Glasgow airport, we plan to rent a car and drive to Fort William as our first stop. Can someone tell us about how long that will take us? Also, recommendations for places to eat and lodge overnight in FW?? Thanks so much for any help!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,829 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Glasgow

Driving time is around 2 hours 20 but you will need to stop about 10 times to admire the view ;-)

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Glasgow

Accommodation reviews

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g186545-Fort_Willia…

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Glasgow

Do you mind asking why Fort William? Also, if flying from the States it's not a good idea to jump into a car on arrival . Perhaps spend the day in Glasgow. Lastly, there is a train to Fort William.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Glasgow

Once you are out of the central belt and into the real countryside there are limited opportunities for comfort breaks and refreshment stops, so bear this in mind. One place we always take a break, but then almost everyone seems to, is the Green Welly Stop at Tyndrum, and also the National Trust Centre at Glencoe both of which have a self service cafe.

http://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/

http://www.glencoe-nts.org.uk/

When making an overnight stop at Fort William last year we stayed at the Premier Inn. It's a clean and comfortable budget chain a short walk to the centre of Fort William. The attached pub and restaurant is nothing special but the location is handy with plenty of parking, easy access, and a nice view of the nevis range from some of the bedrooms. I am a fan of premier inns not least because they can be cancelled free of charge up until and including the actual day of stay.

premierinn.com/en/hotel/FORLOC/fort-william

Edited: 4:20 am, February 06, 2011
Scotland
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Glasgow

Can I stand up for independent accommodation providers here? I would personally say that staying in a B&B or small hotel is a big element of a Highland experience, especially for overseas visitors. You get the chance to meet the locals and are more likely to pick up 'insider' tips about where to go.

Don't get me wrong - chain hotels have their place and I often stay in Travelodges if going away to cities. But it just seems a shame to miss out on an intrinsic part of the experience.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,829 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Glasgow

Go missymoo!!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Glasgow

I absolutely agree with the idea of using local accommodation providers/guest houses and B&Bs for a visitor to get a more personal perspective and flavour of a place and it's culture.

I am quite possibly in the minority in my preference for decent but anonymous hotel or chain hotel; where I know pretty much what to expect every time and where I can come and go as I please, without feeling a bit awkward about having a long lie in or being out till the wee small hours should I choose. Different strokes for different folks ;-)

Scotland
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Glasgow

Thanks, Ronaldo!

Purple Celtic, I do see where you're coming from and, if I was staying in Glasgow or Edinburgh or London, I'd agree. But would you travel from the US to the Highlands of Scotland to have long lie ins and late nights?

OK, maybe the latter! :-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Glasgow

We plan to drive from Glasgow to Fort William to get the 10:15am train. What time will we need to leave Glasgow to do this? We will be staying in Glasgow central.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Glasgow

I think someone already gave the average travel time on this thread Denise. Give yourself plenty of wiggle room timewise. What time of year are you proposing to do the trip?