We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort William to BELFAST

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Fort William to BELFAST

We plan to stay in Fort William and then go to Belfast. What would be the quickest way to do this? We won't have a car. I have check trains and they seem to take ages.

Does anyone know if you can hire a car in Fort William for day trips?? Or is the town to small to have ahire car service?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort William to BELFAST

There is a car hire agency in Fort William - a small one. No one way hires but OK for day trips.

Train to Glasgow then fly to Belfast is probably quickest

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort William to BELFAST

You can also fly Inverness to Belfast on Flybe.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort William to BELFAST

Do you happen to know the name and number of this car hire company in Fort William?. Thanks for replying.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort William to BELFAST

What about buses - are there buses that will do this journey?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort William to BELFAST

Fort William Car Hire based in Caol just off the A830 Mallaige Road. Check out

www.fortwilliamcarhire.com/

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort William to BELFAST

There isn't a quick way to Belfast from Fort William - for one thing there's a sea in the way, for another it's a four hour drive just to the ferry at Stranraer.

Coaches are run by Citylink - but you'll have to change in Glasgow & it takes 12 hours

Car hire isn't an option as many car hire companies (especially small ones) won't allow out of mainland UK travel, you'd pay a HEFTY fee for one way car hire if you aren't coming back and you'll pay another hefty fee for taking the car on the ferry.

You can also check out sailrail.co.uk which gives combined train / ferry tickets

Edited: 2:01 am, January 10, 2011
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,152 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort William to BELFAST

Sorry no easy way to do this, if time is of the essence then probably the qiuckest is a bus from Ft William to Inverness then direct flight to Belfast on Flybe, but then you have got to allow for security and check in, or Train to Glasgow (3.5hrs) then another train to Troon (40mins) then Ferry which is fast as it is a Seacat.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort William to BELFAST

THere is a twice-daily coach service connecting Fort William and Belfast. There is a change at Glascow to the through service 923 - already detailed in my reply to your earlier post. Journey time is variable, depending on how long one has to wait at Glascow for the onward connection - might be only 5 minutes, might be time for a leg stretch and a meal.

Singel fare, amendable and refundable, is £33 for an adult, £26 for a child, senior citizen or student.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort William to BELFAST

Thank you

I found the details of this coach service and it looks like a 10+ hour trip. I have now decided that this is all too hard and maybe I am attempting to do too much with my 6 nights in Scotland. I am going to use Edinburgh as a base and do day trips out of Edinburgh and then fly to Dublin - hire a car in Dublin and drive around Ireland and include Belfast this way. Of course doing day trips out of Edinburgh means I might not see as much of the west coast as I wanted including the train trip to Fort William. Any tips and what is good to do out of Edinburgh and return to Edinburgh at the end of the day? Also I found hiring a car and not returning it to the same town (or country) seems a bit tricky - another reason why using a base town like Edinburgh and then Dublin seems to be the best option. Thanks for your help and advice.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,982 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fort William to BELFAST

You can easily get a train to Fort William, via Glasgow from Edinburgh.

It goes through some of Scotlands best scenery. Stay the night there, and then get a bus to Inverness,and a train back to Edinburgh.

You don't need to be restricted to day trips.