We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

carlisle England
Level Contributor
63 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

then head towards skye, and the far north west,

wheres the best area to pick up a bed and breakfast next week?,

(this is all in one day by the way)

is it more likely to get a b@b before ullapool? or is that a step to far?

i`m planning on leaving at 6 so can get past glasgow morning rush, ang get to f william around 11 to 12,

then up the ben! back down by 5 then set off north,

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,919 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

I don't think its feasible, but yes, it's more feasible to get a B&B before Ullapool.

I don;t think that's your issue, though.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

Are you doing this for a bet?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,919 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

Want to tell us which day you planning to do this so folk can be aware of a very tired driver heading north from Ben Nevis at 6pm? :-)

Sorry if I'm under-estimating your prowess!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

Must admit this is something I would do. I think it all depends on how fit you are. You are allowing 5 or 6 hours to get up and down Ben Nevis. If you are a "proper walker" and not a rambler and your not going to sit around at the top, Then that is more then enough time. I think last time I did, I us up and down in under 4 hours and I'm a old "as bean" As i see it your only braking a longish drive with a short walk.

What I will say is. I have found that when it come to walking,hiking or fell walking most posters on here, asking for advice ALWAYS overstate how fit they are. If that is the case then best to overnight not far away from Fort William.

ian480.

carlisle England
Level Contributor
63 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

thank you for kind replies,

i can get up and down scawfel pike in 3 hours, and ive done a 10,000 feet mountain in death valley in 14 hours, so should be ok, though i dont underestimate ben nevis, its just with the scots schools breaking up this week, was unsure where the best place to book in,

the reason i`m not pre booking is , if i still feel ok after the ben i will push on,

as the next day i`m hoping to do some climbing near cape wrath,

then a leisurely drive back through some of the most beautiful scenery,

though the weather doesnt look so good.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,919 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

Hi

Based on what ian480 and others say, I've no doubt you can walk up and down the Ben in that time, but.... after a 5 hour drive?

And then a 3-hour drive towards Ullapool looking for a last-minute B&B.

Good job the evenings are light. Have fun

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,227 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

Maybe pop in to the tourist office in Fort William after you get back down Ben Nevis. I make that about 4.30 - 5pm-ish by then. They have a book a bed ahead scheme, which takes in places further north, although not as far as Ullapool, I think. I also think trying to reach Ullapool is a step or two too far. Maybe nearer to FW or towards Gairloch. If you decide on further north than FW, make sure the B & B owners are alerted to your later than normal arrival time.

carlisle England
Level Contributor
63 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

thanks garden girlie, i shall do that,

the reason why it seems a bit extreme, is that i am supposed to be doing the 3 peaks challenge in december, and i need to get an idea if my old knees will stand up to the job of driving then hiking, on a tight timescale.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

You say you are doing the 3 peaks walk. Is that of Britain? And are you driving as well as walking? And in under 24 hours?

Please do not try to do all the driving yourself. Since "Great Heck" that is a big no no. The walking club I belong to, when doing longish to long walks 60+ miles we always State that you must rest before you drive home. If you have a crash there will be no excuses for you being tried.

I also hope you will have all the gear with you for winter walking in the mountains. I have been in a white out more than once and it is no fun.

Good walking.

ian480.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,919 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on carlisle to fort william then wander up ben nevis

It's the MRT I feel sorry for.