We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort William Accommodation: Seangan Chalets

Surrey
2 posts
Save Topic
Fort William Accommodation: Seangan Chalets

We're seriously thinking about booking Seangan Chalets (not croft or bridge).

embracescotland.co.uk/property_details.asp…

However I can't find any reviews for them and they are asking us to pay by cheque. Has anyone stayed there and can anyone confirm if they are legitimate please.

Many thanks

Scotland
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort William Accommodation: Seangan Chalets

I do not know what you mean by "legitimate", but I see from the link you posted that this establishment has a Visit Scotland 3 Star rating. Therefore I do not think you have anything to worry about.

Is payment by cheque a problem for you? It may be that this establishment does not have the facility to accept credit/debit card payments for deposits and final invoices. Small businesses can be charged a lot by the cc companies and this may be the reason Seangen Chalets have asked for a cheque.

Surrey
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort William Accommodation: Seangan Chalets

By legitimate I meant do they really exist. I've been burned in the past and don't want to make that mistake again.

I could not find any reviews which would at least be an indication the business exists. It's also the first time I've seen embracescotland and I don't know what mechanism they use to vet the venues listed on their site and how they establish the 3 star rating.

I would usually pay by mastercard so that if there is a dispute I at least have the option to get a refund.

Scotland
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort William Accommodation: Seangan Chalets

This website will tell you more about VisitScotland and their grading systems. The business must be legitimate if it has a grading. If you were to have problems, then you have VS as a point of reference.

http://www.visitscotland.org/index.htm

There are many tourism websites out there and embracescotland is a new one on me. My B&B business has ended up on a number of tourism websites which I have never heard of and never asked to join.

If they won't let you pay by card, then don't book. I have a card system for my business and I pass the costs on to my guests. I don't like doing it, but we had so many late cancellations and no-shows we were forced to have it to safeguerd the business. As I say, this establishment may have investigated the use of cc payment, but decided it is not for them.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort William Accommodation: Seangan Chalets

I can reassure you that EmbraceScotland is a trustworthy source of quality assured and legitimate self-catering in Scotland. It is the website of the official trade association for the sector in Scotland, the ASSC (Association of Scotland's Self-Caterers).

All the properties on it are members of the ASSC, and to be featured they have to hold the Quality Assurance stars awarded by VisitScotland (Scottish Tourist Board). EmbraceScotland does not act as an agency and you book direct with the owner.

On the business of sending cheques - you are right to be wary, but it is very common for Scottish self-catering to ask for payment in advance, and many operators are not big enough to have card payment services. Many Scottish operators are one-person, often one-property, businesses. However, this does not mean you will get inferior service or quality. Indeed, you will often get better, more personal service, and find the property is more care-for and homely than a chain-operated or agency-managed place.

Contact the owner, see if you like the response you get, then book with confidence and look forward to a great holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
5. Re: Fort William Accommodation: Seangan Chalets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, October 12, 2009