We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Edinburgh to Inverness

Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from Edinburgh to Inverness

I am trying to figure out how many railway companies offer train from Edinburgh to

Inverness. Do they all stop at the train station in city centre? I looked into Scotrail and the map seems to show me that the train stops by the airport. Does anyone know the timetable for the summer? I would like to know the Sat departure time from Edinburgh arrival time into

Inverness.

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,905 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness

First ScotRail are the train operating company for that service. Travelling on a Saturday may mean changes in the service because of necessary works done at that time.

Trains depart from Edinburgh Waverley and terminate at Inverness station in the city centre. Check the timetables (for through services and those which require a change at Perth) at www.nationalrail.co.uk

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness

Scotrail are the most frequent operator and EastCoast less so.

It is more or less an hourly service between them, a change at Perth may be required.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness

www.scotrail.co.uk

I don't know how you are struggling with the website?

Just input Edinburgh then Inverness and your dates, it won't show the summer however it won't change by much.

First train on a Saturday is 06:33 next is 08:33 both taking just under 4 hrs

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness

Just to clarify a point you raised in your post - the train service does not stop at the airport, but goes from Central Edinburgh, from Edinburgh Waverley as TravellerPlus says.

If you can choose a service that avoids a change at Perth then I recommend that - as presumably you'll have a fair bit of luggage. The change at Perth can require changing platforms by going up and down stairs. We have had to do that when we had a lot of luggage, with a very tight time between trains due to a slight incoming delay. We couldn't have received less help, and would have missed the connection if it wasn't for my partner blocking a train door and refusing to move while waiting for me and the luggage - I was going as fast as I could! Staff would rather my partner got out the way than help us make the train - which was vital for further travel connections. Just a warning!

5. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 10, 2016