We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where best to stay for a youth/sports group?

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Where best to stay for a youth/sports group?

Hi all, I am considering bringing a sports team I manage (17 yrs, boys, hurling) over to Inverness in April of next year, preferably 18-21/22nd, with the purpose of playing a shinty/hurling challenge game. I have been researching different types of accommodation but cannot come across anything suitable mainly because I am very unfamiliar with the region and don't know which areas I should include.

Can anyone recommend suitable accommodation for a group of 25 to stay in or around Inverness? I think I would prefer self catering accommodation as it may keep the cost down and afford us with a little more freedom. Some place with amenities/activities on site would also be great.

If anything springs to mind I really would be grateful of the help.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,962 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where best to stay for a youth/sports group?

How about syha.org.uk/hostels-in-scotland/highlands/in…

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where best to stay for a youth/sports group?

If you're playing a game you must have opposition in mind, Inverness Shinty Club being the obvious one. Can some of the teams you might play suggest anything?

The SHYA is a good choice but you're heading there over Easter weekend, and Inverness hostel can get busy with through traffic - so contact the warden, especially to organise some rooms not shared with strangers.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,962 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where best to stay for a youth/sports group?

Are you heading to a specific tournament or are you looking for games as shinty is strong in a few different area's in the Highlands so you might not have to be based in Inverness.

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where best to stay for a youth/sports group?

SYHA is a good suggestion. Also worth trying the independent hostels as they are often more flexible and have more facilities - particularly if you stay out of town, which I would recommend. http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where best to stay for a youth/sports group?

"Self-catering"

My experience was with 16-18 yo's putting on a play at the Edinburgh Fringe. They took over a couple of large flats and either cooked for themselves or ate out. Lots of Edinburgh people rent to fringe groups because the rest of the year their properties are rented to university students.

Not sure to what extent Inverness properties would be available over Easter? Most students would want to leave stuff because they're returning for a Summer term?

But you might ask http://www.uhi.ac.uk/en about student services, or ask a letting agent in the area? Just thinking out loud. I'm not sure how useful this might be.

6. Re: Where best to stay for a youth/sports group?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 28, 2014