We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to inverness

Which Inverness hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
helsinki
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
travel to inverness

Drive from Gatwick to inverness. What is the distance and approximate time ? Do we need to stop over for the night ?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to inverness

It's about 600 miles and at least 10 hours driving, most of it along very busy roads.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to inverness

I would definitely recommend a stopover on this route if you must drive rather than flying or taking a train. Depending on the time of day you are travelling there are numerous parts of the journey where you may get considerable rush hour traffic holdups, accidents/ roadworks so 10 hours is a conservative estimate.

Crathie
Level Contributor
802 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to inverness

I recently made the drive from Hassocks (twenty miles from Gatwick) to my home here in Aberdeenshire and according to Google maps the journey should have taken me ten hours. Poor weather meant a detour via Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen and I also had to contend with heavy traffic and road works. The final journey including refreshment stops took 15 hours and I needed 24 hours to recover.

Hopefully any weather you might encounter on a similar journey would be good, but there’s little you can do about traffic incidents or road works. If you really have to drive then stop somewhere overnight, perhaps in Cumbria which is about halfway between Gatwick and Inverness. Otherwise travel by train or plane.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to inverness

When I used to do that sort of drive I used to stop somewhere like Hexham close to Hadrian's Wall. Possible as one drive but for me I always needed to take two days.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to inverness

Any reason you can't fly? Or even taking the train world be quicker.

It usually takes me 12 hours (admittedly have only done it out of necessity, a handful of times), and they was without obstructive traffic of weather conditions.

Abs :)

6. Re: travel to inverness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 28, 2014