We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midges in May in Inverness?

East Sussex
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Midges in May in Inverness?

I am coming to Inverness to watch my husband cycle the last few days of his Lands End to John O Groats tour, durring the first weekend in May. Will midges be a problem and if so do you have any suggestions to keep bites to a minimum? I am hiring a car and will have some free time in Inverness, Crask and John O Groats this is my first visit to the area do you have any suggestions on places to see or things to do. Also any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midges in May in Inverness?

There will be midges in damp areas, but it's not (Midge) high season.

Two products get a good crit: Smidge and Avon Skin-so-soft oil. Both available in outdoors shops.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,177 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midges in May in Inverness?

I can't remember ever having a problem with midges in Inverness and certainly not in May

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,177 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midges in May in Inverness?

p.s. and John O Groats and Lairg will be fine too ;-)

4. Re: Midges in May in Inverness?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, April 15, 2013
Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midges in May in Inverness?

In a Which report from 2009 - out of date so their recommendations may no longer be valid or available - the best two repellents were Boots Repel extra strength and Jungle Formula extra strength. The much lauded Avon So Soft was 17th out of 19 products.

Crathie
Level Contributor
874 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Midges in May in Inverness?

When in the John O'Groats area you might like to have a look at the Castle of Mey, Scottish home to the late Queen Mother.

http://www.castleofmey.org.uk/index.cfm

Regarding midges, I have heard that taking a course of brewer's yeast tablets make you less palatable to the midge. Apparently yeast supplements cause the body to emit a subtle odour that mosquitoes and other biting insects are said to find quite offensive :-)

romford
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midges in May in Inverness?

Have visited Inverness and nearby Swordale and Ardersier at various times of the year and have yet to see any midges at all..

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midges in May in Inverness?

Should not be a bother early in May, in any case they go away when it's windy (which is often), they are more of a problem around dusk and dawn especially near water and if camping etc. Never pitch a tent right next to a loch or river in peak midge season. ;)

Pick up a bottle of Smidge in Inverness (try an outdoor shop) just in case you come across them. They tend to arrive mid to late May and gradually increase in number/frequency over the summer. Peak season is really June/July/Aug (especially July to Aug) and worse in the West than the East. Worst midges I have come across have been on Arran, Skye, Tyndrum, Glen Lyon, Plockton and Glenfinnan - all in the West.

You can always check the midge forecast - yes really: http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/ but it's not back until 20 May as that's more or less when they tend to start becoming a problem though you may see a few before then especially if/when the weather gets warmer and less windy.

Edited: 7:09 pm, April 15, 2013
East Sussex
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midges in May in Inverness?

Thank you so much I will deffinately try to visit the Castle of May and I will also try the brewers yeast tablets, much niser than sprays.

East Sussex
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Midges in May in Inverness?

Thanks for the advice I'll look out for some smidge