We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Glencoe

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Glencoe

Is a day trip possible to Glencoe from Inverness? Would prefer coach travel, looks like numerous opportunities from Edinburgh to Glencoe- not so much from Inverness? Will consider car hire if that is the only practical way to be there.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Glencoe

I would drive! There is so much to see along the way! The drive itself isn't very long and really straight forward, so you'd have lots of time to stop here and there and everywhere to take pictures and walk a little.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Glencoe

There are public buses from Glasgow to Fort William if you want to organise things yourself. There are big coasch trips, you've probably found some. There are minibus tours run by companies like Timberbush and Rabbies.

If you're determined not to drive, the minibus tours are probably the more lively / interesting. And they DO let you out the bus ... :-)

But driving is the best way, because there are so many more places you can visit: all bus tours have limited stops.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,559 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Glencoe

Glencoe is absolutely stunning, in fact one of my favourite places on the planet (mind you I havn't been to them all ;-) ).......I would definitely go for hiring a car so that you can go at your own pace, stopping as and when you want to photograph the scenery and just soak up the atmosphere.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Glencoe

We stop in Glencoe and on Rannoch Moor every time we travel to the northwest and can spend well over an hour taking photos and enjoying the rugged beauty of the place - it changes with the seasons, with the weather and even with the different times of day. A car is definitely the best way to go, allowing you the freedom to take your time and to stop when you want/where you want.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Glencoe

Car it is, then! Maybe two hours drive from Inverness? (not counting stops !) Do you have any particular suggestions for route or endpoint before return to Inverness or should I just head for the Glencoe visitors centre? Appreciate the assistance, thank you.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Glencoe

Yes, I have learned this to my peril. We spent one Sunday afternoon in a bus stop in Cornwall, playing hackey-sack waiting for the one bus to return us to Penzance . Still, it's the best public transportation system I have ever seen!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Glencoe

The visitors Centre is in the entrance to the glen. You need to go further into the glen and park in one of the lay bys. These can be busy but walk for a few minutes and it's possible to be quite alone. There are lots of walks depending on how fit/well equipped you are

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Glencoe

There are some easy walks at the top of this list:

walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/glencoe.shtml

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Glencoe

Thanks for the advice! You guys are great!

Spean Bridge
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Glencoe

Hello

Just be sure you know what you are going to do when you get to Glencoe because I think sometimes people think that it is a singular place but really its more of a getting out of the car and walking area.

There is the small village itself at the West end of the glen then the visitor centre a mile or so away. After that as you follow the road you enter the glen itself. There are parking places on either side of the road for your to stop and gaze up at the mountains.

Glen Etive is at the East end of Glencoe and it was used for shots in the the new James Bond film Skyfall. Even further along the A82 dont forget Rannoch Moor which is stunning with its lochans glinting and leading your eyes towards the mountains.

I don't think you will have time to take a different route home apart from when you reach Fort Augustus you could take the Southside of Loch Ness on the B862 which has great views.

Derek G mentioned the Walk Highlands website for walks but apart from the Signal Rock walk you would have to be doing the "Three boots" and above walks to really be in Glen Coe and see the most spectacular scenery.

Perhaps you need to spend a night or two down in the Lochaber district to really see some beautiful areas that perhaps Inverness does not have!