We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help needed!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help needed!

Hi all

We are looking at a short break up Inverness way. We are looking at coming up on the Caledonian Sleeper and then staying somewhere in the area for 4 nights before driving down to Aviemore and then back home on the train.

Any good suggestions about where we could stay? We like sightseeing and also wildlife parks and Geocaching!

I have seen a small cottage type place in Gairloch, do you think this would be too far? I think we will hire a car to get us around.

Not too bothered about staying in the Inverness area if we can get to some days out by bus instead of hiring a car.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help needed!

What time of year are you travelling please?

Woody x

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help needed!

Forgot that part!

it will be early/mid march.

Thanks Woody.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help needed!

Personally I wouldn't rely on public transport - you would be much better hiring a car and making the most of the daylight hours instead of having to be stuck to PT timetables.

Gairloch is not a long drive from Inverness or Aviemore but it depends on the road conditions at the time. Its about 100 miles one way, taking 2 hours in good summer conditions

Wildlife Parks??!

http://www.highlandwildlifepark.org/

I think they do/did geocaching in Anagach Woods here in Grantown on Spey!

welcometoscotland.com/things-to-do/activitie…

but I don't know enough about it to point you in the right direction, sorry!!

Regards

Woody x

Mentioned in this post
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help needed!

In March daylight from 7 am to 7 pm, so few constraints due to excessive darkness :-)

There will still be lots of Snow on the mountains (and climbers and skiers) especially around Aviemore. Early March is technically winter; last March I was in the Cairngorms and it was (briefly) like midsummer, with the snow I'd expected in the Lairig Ghru all melted. The only thing I can guarantee is the weather will be unpredictable. And though Gairloch is on the coast behind it you have some big mountains.

Gairloch is well placed for you to visit Loch Maree, Torridon, Applecross to the South or a drive round the back of An Teallach and beyond past Ullapool to the North. The journey from Inverness should take somewhat under 2 hours in good conditions. There won't be enormous amounts of public transport; Gairloch is a good call but you need a car.

Geocaching.com says there are a lot of cache points around gairloch ... there can't be many places left without a few at least!

Edited: 8:23 pm, January 01, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
Ullapool
Ullapool
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help needed!

If you're contemplating various routes, try http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

70 miles from Inverness to Gairloch, another 30 Inverness to Aviemore.

Mentioned in this post
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help needed!

I'm from Gairloch, so conflict of interest declared! I love Gairloch, and return now as an eager tourist, time after time. Stunning location, small and friendly, suited to tourists but not too touristy... There is a daily bus to Inverness, to Inverness in the morning, and back in the evening. Operated by westerbus. Sometimes is goes the 'south' route, other times it goes the 'north' route, a 3 hr trip via A835. Nearest train station is Achnasheen. So bottom line is you need a car! It takes 1hr15-1hr30 to get from Gairloch to Inverness, and another 30 minutes to Aviemore (although potential for traffic and roadworks to delay you southbound on A9).

If you want more advice on the Gairloch area, just ask!

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
Inverness
Level Contributor
184 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help needed!

I'm from inverness.! Great base for touring. Gairloch is lovely too is about 100 miles away you'll def need a car for there although not necessarily if you stay in inverness

I live in the city and will happily help out with specifics if you want furthervinfo

Mentioned in this post
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help needed!

Thanks everyone you have been really helpful. After a lot of thought we loved the look of Gairloch and the area but want to do it when we can do some whale watching. Unfortuntely it seems this does not start until April.

So i'm going to look at the Edinburgh area for this March trip and hopefully head up your way in the later months.

Now if anyone knows where we can do some day trips to from Edinburgh in March, just let me know!

PS. we have done Stirling, North Berwick, Glasgow, Blair Atholl so not them.

Mentioned in this post
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help needed!

St. Andrews and the East Neuk of Fife

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/falkland-…

regards

Woody x

10. Re: Itinerary help needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, January 09, 2013