We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skye, Loch Ness, Speyside

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
108 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Skye, Loch Ness, Speyside

We will be visiting Scotland in September and will be flying into Inverness on a Wednesday at 10am. We will be renting a car and plan to take a drive to Isle of Skye/Portree and return possibly to Drumnadrochit. The next morning we will leave for Speyside to tour 1 or 2 distilleries at 11am appointment (Macallan). We plan on leaving the area by 3pm and driving to Saint Andrews for the evening where we will spend the night.

Could you please recommend accommodations near Inverness or Drumnadrochit? Looking for more upscale accommodations preferably.

Also, any better suggestions on the itinerary would be helpful. We are aware that there is quite a bit of driving these 2 days. But we will have 2 relaxing days in Edinburgh later. We do like to drive and see the country.

Thank you for any help and suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Drumnadrochit
Drumnadrochit
Loch Ness, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skye, Loch Ness, Speyside

Suggest you drive down from Speyside on the A941 from Craigellachie via Glen Rinnes on the B9009 to Tomintoul and then A939/A93 to Braemar. This scenic route takes you right "over the top" of the edge of the Grampian Mountains and you should get some great views if the wetaher is good. Head down to Blairgowrie then you can either go via Dundee and over the Tay Bridge to head for St.Andrews or go via Perth and into Fife from that direction. I suggest you don't leave Craigellachie any later than 3pm as you hope, because its quite a long drive given that you may want to stop and admire the views. Sunset at the beginning of September is about 8pm and and at the end of the month an hour earlier.

You are correct - that is a LOT of driving! Do you mean you are arriving at 10 am and driving all the way to Skye and then next day coming back to Inverness /Drumnadrochit to overnight? Phew!

Do you prefer to stay in hotels or B & B?

You may get some idea of TA rated accommodations on this link

tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g551809-Drumnadroc…

Woody x

Edited: 4:37 pm, April 30, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Blairgowrie
Blairgowrie
Perth and Kinross, UK
Dundee
Dundee
Scotland, UK
The Tay
The Tay
171 Reviews
Aberfeldy, UK
Perth
Perth
Perth and Kinross, UK
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Drumnadrochit
Drumnadrochit
Loch Ness, UK
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
108 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skye, Loch Ness, Speyside

Hi Woody,

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Yes we were thinking of driving to Portree at 10am, spending around an hour there (lunch) and then driving back taking in the sites. Based on google maps this is 4.5 hours total round-trip...does this sound right to you?

Then the next day from Inverness- Speyside-Saint Andrews (about 5 hours drive time).

Does this sound right?

Mentioned in this post
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skye, Loch Ness, Speyside

I suppose its do-able - whether its enjoyable is another matter!! I would have thought it would take longer than your estimate but I assume this may be a journey time without stops which you will need to factor in.

W x

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skye, Loch Ness, Speyside

Comments may be a little late but ...

I checked Google's estimate on travel times between Inverness and Skye for another traveller yesterday - it worked out at 90 miles in just over 90 minutes. There is no way you can maintain 60mph on those roads safely, and even if you could, you would in no way enjoy the trip.

As the roads are similar and the trip is longer, I suspect Google's assumptions are the same for your estimate. I suggest you check using a more reliable route planner such as the UK government one at http://www.transportdirect.info (this exploits an embedded database of road capacity, traffic patterns, planned road works &c, and tends to be sensibly conservative). It might be worth checking your route from Inverness to St Andrews, too. 5 hours seems much more reasonable, even via Braemar.

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skye, Loch Ness, Speyside

Yes I thought that may be the case John. These estimates are not accurate for normal journeys - in fact sometimes they would be downright dangerous!! Visitors do rely on the estimates though which is why so many underestimate just how long it will take to get round an area such as Scotland, which looks so small on any map!

W x

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
6. Re: Skye, Loch Ness, Speyside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, June 22, 2013