We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

Alberta
Level Contributor
669 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

Hello, will be visiting Edinburgh in August. My daughters would like to go on a boat cruise of Loch Ness. Wondering if we should take a tour bus, or just take the train to Inverness and do it on our own. Thoughts and comments would be most appreciated.

110 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

If you're from Australia then the great barrier reef is better for spotting Nessie.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

If Loch Ness is a must do, then I would go by train to Inverness and stay overnight. Check out Jacobite Cruises - they do a short bus trip to Loch Ness and then a boat cruise. If you don't mind the cost, do the combined cruise and castle option as that way you get to see the ruins of Urquhart Castle as well as the loch (though you do get to view the castle from the boat if you opt for just the cruise). Either that or join Rabbies Tours - they do a two day trip to Loch Ness which includes a cruise on Loch Ness but you get to see lots of other things too and there is a guide to tell you all about what you are seeing. There is an overnight stop in Inverness. They do do a one day tour to Loch Ness too but as others have said, it is a long way to go in one day and so inevitably you would spend quite alot of time on the bus. Their tours are all in small coaches which seat a maximum of 16 which gives a good opportunity to meet other travellers as well as the guide. If you prefer being part of a much bigger group then check out Grayline tours from Edinburgh - they do a one day trip in a full size coach. Loch Ness is impressive because it is the biggest loch in terms of water volume but there are many lochs closer to Edinburgh like Loch Lomond and Loch Katrin which are just as beautiful and on which you can do boat cruises.

73. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:09 pm, May 15, 2013

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

If you want to see the 'real' Loch Ness here's a new way to do it.

symoonshadow.co.uk/cruises/…

Sail from Inverness down through Loch Ness, Loch Lochy and Loch Linnhe over a week in a luxury yacht. You can go ashore where you like and walk or whatever, and help to sail the boat all the way to Dunstaffnage, which is near Oban.

All your meals and ensuite cabins too.

It sounds a bit more attractive than sitting in a bus all day to get an hour looking at a loch

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

Just to add a bit of balance I hope here... Urquhart Castle on the west banks of Loch Ness (near Drumnadrochit) is a beautiful day out. Fantastic views of the famous loch, marvellous old castle ruins to wander round for the afternoon, and a great multimedia show included with your ticket to explain the history.

If you do it on your own (which is nicer) you get the train to Inverness through some scenic countryside and then a local bus that drops you at the castle. There's a Nessie exhibition a couple of stops away if I remember correctly if you're into that. Enjoy.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

I might need to eat my words. There's a news story about Apple maps apparently showing a large creature in the loch. I can't post a link, but Google is your friend

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

I think we should maybe mention to any long-suffering visitors than winding people up with tall stories about the Nessie monster is a favourite pastime. We can also organise hunting trips across the moors to catch a haggis or two if anyone's interested ;-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

I'm a little shocked by the amount of sarcasm generated by this topic. Anyway, to each his own. Despite naysayers, we have planned a 4-night stay at Inverness and intend to enjoy the guided excursions to the surrounding area including Jacobite cruises on Loch Ness to as far as Eilean Donan Castle and Isle of Skye. After that, we will continue on to Thurso and the Orkney Islands.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
79. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

David. You will see that many people on this thread have suggested using Inverness as a base for visiting Loch Ness.

People are being dissuaded from spending a long day travelling from the central belt to stare at some water when there are plenty of closer alternatives.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

We are not "naysayers" David. We are Tripadvisors.

Tripadvisor is all about people who are familiar with certain locations offering advice about these locations to those who are not familiar.

I visited Singapore six years ago and asked for advice about it in the relevant forum. I took the advice on board. Should you wish to ignore the advice being offered then that is fair enough but enjoy your trip anyway. You probably will, even if you don't know what you are missing. ;o)

Edited: 5:52 am, May 05, 2014
Reply to: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted