We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train trips from Inverness

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
train trips from Inverness

In March my sister and I are planning to take the Caldedonian Sleeper from London to Fort William and then the train on to Mallig before returning by train to Fort William and going to Inverness by coach. Since we will have a rail pass, we would like to take some day trips by train from Inverness before heading down to Edinburgh for a few days. We would appreciate any suggestions concerning interesting place to go both in terms of views from the train as well as towns to visit. Thanks for your help.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: train trips from Inverness

Hi

The scenery between inverness and thurso is something else - wild but also very remote - in places bleak but also beatiful. I am told the train line is a lot longer than the road because the train company went broke and one of the local lairds bailed them out - on the condition that the line went past one of his shooting lodges - so it takes a wander all over the country!

I've stayed in the railway hotel - and very nice it was too - there were a group of us there on business and we went for a wander about afterward dinner and didn't find the area at all dodgy - it is very close to the main inverness shopping area, and seemed fine.

By the way, if you like second hand books, inverness has the largest most amazing bookshop I've seen anywhere - Leakeys - highly recommended!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: train trips from Inverness

Fifporter, thank you for your description of the countryside I will see from the train as I weave my way down to Inverness. I love the idea of the line being diverted to take in hunting lodges to secure finance. I imagine the scenery is more beautiful because the line does not just go in a straight line.

I will look into the Royal Highland Hotel. It looks great. Thank you also for the tip about the bookshop.

13. Re: train trips from Inverness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 24, 2009