We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

Level Contributor
27 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

Has anyone stayed at the Moness Country Club in Perthshire, Scotland? We are staying in June 2006 after spending a week in Devon, England. We have never been to this area and any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Devon
Devon
England, UK
California
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

I cannot answer about the must sees, since I have not been to this area of Scotland. But I can answer about the murphy bed. This is a bed enclosed in a closet or other piece of furniture that looks like a wardrobe. You pull the bed down and out. Better than a sofa bed because ther eis no lump in the middle from the fold. See website http://www.murphybedcompany.com/

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

The closest train stops are at Pitlochry or Birnham/Dunkeld which are several miles from Aberfeldy/Moness C.C.. I am not sure about bus routes. Aberfeldy is a few miles off the main motorway so public transportation may be iffy. A "murphy bed" is a bed that folds into and out of a wall. Our "cottage" at Moness was a two level with one large bedroom downstairs, one small bathroom downstairs, a sitting room and small kitchen upstairs. The "murphy bed" was in the upstairs sitting room. We were three large adults and were very comfortable here. Some must see's are Kenmore. Robert Burns stayed at the hotel here. Pitlochry with the Edradour Distillery which is the smallest in Scotland. The village of Fortingall with the oldest living thing in Europe, a 5,000 yr. old Yew tree still growing next to an ancient, ancient church. Loch Ness is an easy day trip. Birnham and Dunkeld with the "Birhnam Oak" of Macbeth fame.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Kinross, Scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

Just returned from a fabulous weekend here had myself 50 and partner 42 and our children and their partners (7 in number) ranging from age 26 to age 20.

The accomodation was excellent as we had two homes next door to each other which catered for 6 and 4 abd the living accomodation was of a reasonably high standard and very comfortable.

The club hotel does very good dinners and at ã14.95 p for three courses is excellent value speedy and efficient service was provided, there is also the poolside bar and cafe which can provide lighter options.

Swimming pool, steam room, snooker room, putting green, pool tables, table tennis kept our party well entertained and all the other guests were pleasant and courteous as were the staff.

Aberfeldy itself is a pleasant stroll downhill (10 mins at most) and for a small town has a variety of restraunts and pubs all reasonably priced.

In the town can be found a variety of outlets for more adventurous activities including white water rafting canoeing, riding, golf, gorge walking, jeep safaris, quad biking, absailing, canyoning etc etc just check prices.

Kenmore is a mere 6 miles away with Killin and the Falls of Dochart a further 16, the must see Queens View is around 20 miles away as is Pitlchry and the Pass of Killikrankie made famous in song by the crucial battle there which saw victory but also death for "Bonnie Dundee".

All in all the break was perfect for our needs and I am sure that people of any age could keep themselves well entertained.

A final point is June will be beautiful providing the weather is good on your week (sure it will be) but protect yourself from the imfamous "Scottish midge" from earl evening a reasonable insect reppelant is advised good luck !

Level Contributor
27 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

A Murphy Bed is a bed that unfolds from a wooden unit and when it is folded up it looks like a large concealed cabinet. Or, I have also heard that a Murphy Bed is one that expands from a wall unit and can be folded up inside the wall. I hope this helps! :)

San Francisco
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

A murphy bed is a bed that is pulled up during the day into a wall cupboard.

Level Contributor
27 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

We just got back yesterday fromj Scotland and staying at Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland. It was a lovely visit. Moness is a nice area to visit. Aberfeldy is where the cottages are situated. We traveled the area extensively and enjoyed the castles and countryside. The deer spotted in the northern area was fantastic. Scotland is a beautiful country with many wonderful people that will make your welcome nice. We enjoyed our visit a lot. As Americans we are quite spoiled. We often forget that the modern conveniences we experience in the USA are not what they are in Europe. However, we found the people, food, and accomadations just fine.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
San Diego
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

We will be staying in at Moness Country Club for a week w/our RCI membership with our 2 children, ages 12 and 9. Are you able to recommend any activites for a family of four, outside of what the country club has to offer? Also, on a average, how expensive are the restaurants, shopping, activities, etc (in American dollars)? Besides bringing "washcloths and insect repellent" is there anything else in particular we should be sure to bring? Do they really add on the cost of electricity? How expensive does that generally run, if we are to stay for a week? Sorry, but I do have lots of questions...this will be our first trip outside of U.S., except for Mexico.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

Hi

We will be staying at Moness Country Club from 28th October - 4th Nov 2006. I have read some of the reviews on this site and found them most imformative. How did you find the resort? and can you give me an outline of what you did with your week. This is our first time to this resort and the area. We will be hiring a car being 4 adults and one child.

Many thanks Yvonne

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

Hi

We will be staying at Moness Country Club from 28th October - 4th Nov 2006. I have read some of the reviews on this site and found them most imformative. How did you find the resort? and can you give me an outline of what you did with your week. This is our first time to this resort and the area. We will be hiring a car being 4 adults and one child.

Many thanks Yvonne

20. Re: Moness Country Club in Perthshire Scotland for a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 19, 2009