We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inverness to Plockton. Drive or train?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
Inverness to Plockton. Drive or train?

We would like to visit Plockton while staying in Inverness. Would you suggest driving ourselves or taking a train? We already will be renting a car but wonder if it would be more relaxing on the train. Thanks, Ron

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inverness to Plockton. Drive or train?

Try this link: http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/index.php

From what I could discern, the journey is about 2:15 by rail, around 2:00 by car. "Relaxing" may be up to your interpretation of the word and whether or not you want the freedom to makes stops along the way, plus how comfortable you are or will be driving in Scotland.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,645 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inverness to Plockton. Drive or train?

We drove this route about a year and a half ago, and it's very nice. As I recall, the roads a quite good. You already have the car, pack a lunch and enjoy it next to one of several small lochs you'll pass.

Loch Ness
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Inverness to Plockton. Drive or train?

Drive! Without doubt this is one of the finest 'drivers' roads in Scotland. My suggestion would be to head out down the quiet, beautiful south side of Loch Ness to Fort Augustus. From there head a further 6 miles south to Invergarry before taking the 'Road to the Isles'. Taking this slight detour rather than going via Invermoriston is well worth it. The road soon rises sharply and affords fantasic views through to the west before rejoining the main road towards the Kyle of Lochalsh and Plockton.

Mentioned in this post
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,258 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Fort Augustus
Fort Augustus
1,029 Reviews
Fort Augustus, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Inverness
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inverness to Plockton. Drive or train?

You should drive, follow the route above then you can return via Achnasheen,both are great roads and very quiet.

It should take you just under 2 hours without stopping, but you will stop to take in the views.

Mons, Belgium
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inverness to Plockton. Drive or train?

Hello.

I made this drive with friends just 4 days ago (agonized for weeks car vs. train). We're glad that we drove as this gave us the opportunity for many stops along the way and allowed us to continue on for a quick visit to Skye as well.

While in Plokton I recommend a meal at The Shores. Don't miss a big bowl of their Cullen Skink!

Of course the train will be more relaxing for the driver but the road is good and frequent stops to admire the breathtaking scenery made it not too stressful for our driver.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Inverness to Plockton. Drive or train?

Thanks saabfan I think we will drive now that I know the roads are good since I will be the one having to do all the driving.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,430 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inverness to Plockton. Drive or train?

And coming back via Achnasheen is a great idea, the view as Loch Carron opens up is stunning :-)

8. Re: Inverness to Plockton. Drive or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 24, 2009