We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dalcross/Inv airport to A82

Which Inverness hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dalcross/Inv airport to A82

Hello,

Need some help on a quick question. I will be driving from the airport to the A82 to eventually go to Skye. Is there a highway that bypasses downtown Inverness.

Thanks

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,560 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dalcross/Inv airport to A82

No the only way is through the town but it quite easy to navigate. The only way to avoid going through Inverness would be to head North over the Kessock Bridge and following the signs for Ullapool. Then turning left shortly after Garve and following the signs to Kyle Of Lochalsh.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dalcross/Inv airport to A82

Thank you joanjock. The reason why I asked was I was in some traffic getting to the airport earlier this year.

Any suggestions for a nearby hotel for an early flight.

Thanks

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,560 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dalcross/Inv airport to A82

There is a Holiday Inn Express on the outskirts of Inverness but traffic can be very heavy around there between 8 and 9am. One idea would be to stay in Nairn the night before as the airport is half way between Nairn and Inverness and it will be far easier getting to the airport between 0730 and 9000 from Nairn. Give me a shout if you want hotel names.

Inverness
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dalcross/Inv airport to A82

Also you might consider staying In ardersier - a village which is 3 miles from the airport.

The route over the kessock bridge is probably the quickest to ske - stuning scenery too around Lochcarron but you wont see loch ness then.

RachieD

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dalcross/Inv airport to A82

Thank you again goanjock, sorry I misspelled your name earlier.

RachieD, thankyou, sounds like a plan. How much if any is this route to Skye single track?

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,560 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dalcross/Inv airport to A82

Just two small stretches of road I have never really noticed but probably 10 miles at the very most in total (maybe less) I'll check next time I drive it. If you do take that route after a section of single track round Loch Carron as you come to the end of it there is a parking layby on your right. Stop as the view is absolutely fantastic, still takes my breathe away even though I have been there many times.

7. Re: Dalcross/Inv airport to A82

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 10, 2009