We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

Kingston, ONtario
Level Contributor
423 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

We are calling on your expertise to provide us with the names of local or scottish ales and whisky that you recommend. For ales we prefer darker and whisky well I am just learning. So when I arrive at a pub what should I order so that we do not look completely useless??

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186485-c13996/Scotla…

this link will give you a great insight into whisky( yes I wrote it),how it's made and all the areas of Scotland it comes from,all my favourites are marked with an *.

most bars in Scotland have a good range of beers and you are a likely to see continental lagers as Scottish ales,beers to look out for are

Caledonian Ales

Belhave beers

Haviestoun

Atlas brewery

Arran Ales

Fyne Ales

Orkney ales

Tenents lager

McEwans

all should be widely availabel but some will on be in bottles.

favourites of mine are Caledonian duchars IPA and Harviestoun Bitter&Twisted.

enjoy tasting.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,140 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

If you are visiting Inverness be sure to check out The Castle Tavern they always have 3/4 real ales on and always in great condition.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,140 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

p.s. I had a pint of Tradewinds there last week (brewed by Cairngorm Brewery) whilst sitting in the beer garden, fabulous it was too :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,358 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

never tried any Cairngorm ales ,so i must look out for the.

during the Edinburgh festival the Guildford bar was doing Atlas beers and I did indulge in a few which were excellent, but i still love ny Duchers IPA and my Bitter & Twisted,might even have a couple of pints tomorrow night.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,140 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

I do like the Atlas Ales. They now have the same owner as Orkney and is a really nice guy.

If you are ever in Inverness we shall meet for a pint or two of Tradewinds at the Castle Tavern........Mrs Jock can drive ;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,358 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

The Atlas ales were on promotion with the Orkney ales,i didn't know about the connection.i enjoyed a few of the Orkney ales when i was there last year.had a few Skullspliters, it is a well named beer.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

Regarding the last part of your post - many locals in pubs throughout Scotand look completely useless anyway and many have absolutely no idea what constitutes quality beer or whisky so don't worry about it!

On more helpful note - if you want to improve your knowledge of Scottish whisky make sure the you try single malt whisky and not blended. Even a novice can soon find some differences - try a Speyside malt and then an Islay malt, perhaps with a little water but nothing else, and I gurantee you will taste and smell the different styles.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,358 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

"Regarding the last part of your post - many locals in pubs throughout Scotand look completely useless anyway and many have absolutely no idea what constitutes quality beer or whisky so don't worry about it! "

that is so very true.

i was in a chain pub in Edinburgh and asked what malt whiskies they have available,the answer was Jack Daniels or Southern Comfort.

You could hear my wails for miles around as i left the bar.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

"For ales we prefer darker"

Why? What's colour got to do with it, it's taste that matters. Please don't drink with your eyes.

"what should I order so that we do not look completely useless?"

If it's a serious pub that serves well-kept cask-conditioned beer (avoid the over- processed/cold/gassed keg stuff like the plague) there is absolutely no reason not to ask bar staff and drinkers what the different beers are like. If it's not too busy you can always ask for a sample.

There are many good breweries in Scotland and some of the suggestions above are sound. I would add to the list Schiehallion, an excellent cask-conditioned lager. But recommendations are pointless. The best beer (or whisky) is the one you like the taste of, and we're all different in our tastes.

Bridgwater, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ales and whisky...names and recommendations

If its the darker beers you like then look out for anything that calls itself Eighty Shillings (written 80/-), the stronger, darker ales referred to locally as "Heavy". There are one or two 70/- ales which are particularly dark and malty, but I can't remember which ones - perhaps someone else can help me out?

Its a quirky naming convention that dates back to the nineteenth century when the amount of tax levied on a cask depended on the strength of the beer - 60/-, 70/-, 80/- and so on.

As for whisky, my preference is for the Island malts - Talisker in particular; they have a unique peaty flavour that makes them quite different to any of the other whiskies. For something really unusual, although it's not to everyone's liking, try the Islay malt Laphroaig - it has an aroma that is, well, different. A little antisceptic smelling and you'll either love it or hate it!