We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Henderson Memorial Nursing Home

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Henderson Memorial Nursing Home

Can anyone confirm that the (current) Caithness General Hospital is the former Henderson Memorial Nursing Home (and, before that, Rosebank (or maybe 'Rosemount') House)? I'm visiting in August from Canada and would like to get my 'foty tuk' (Ulster-Scots LOL ) for, well, let's say 'auld time's sake'.

4 replies to this topic
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
178 reviews
1. Re: Henderson Memorial Nursing Home

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/100211/details/wick+cliff+road+rosebank+house/

You have probably seen this link which appears to confirm what you are thinking. Sorry I don't know for sure but it looks like it was.

Enjoy your trip

Woody x

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Henderson Memorial Nursing Home

You are quite right. The Henderson Home was a maternity unit which was housed in the old Rosebank House, previously owned by the Henderson family. Many a Caithness bairn was born in the forties, fifties, sixties and seventies in The Henderson. It was demolished in the late seventies/ early eighties, which still rankles with many locals, to make way for the rather ugly Caithness General Hospital which dominates the town skyline. The excellent Wick Heritage Centre nearby will give you more information.

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Henderson Memorial Nursing Home

Thanks very much, Katz235 and WoodyBark. I will have a look at the Caithness General (apparently there may still be a reference to a Henderson 'wing' there) and drop into the Heritage Centre.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Henderson Memorial Nursing Home

There is a Rosebank wing (medical) and a Henderson wing in the hospital. The Henderson is the maternity wing.

Reply to: Henderson Memorial Nursing Home
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wick
Recent Conversations