We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

northern lights

Warrington, United...
1 post
1 review
northern lights

I have heard that it is possible to see the northern lights from Wick and surrounding coastline.

Any further details please?

3 replies to this topic
Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: northern lights

They do say the further north you are in the UK the more chance you have of seeing the Northern Lights.

Have a look at this link below for the Caithness Astronomy Group they have some advice on their for visitors to the area hoping to see the lights.

spanglefish.com/caithnessastronomygroup/…

2. Re: northern lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, January 06, 2014

Mey, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: northern lights

I live in Mey which is 20 miles north of Wick and 6 miles west of John O'Groats and I regularly see the northern lights from our B&B (there is a photo on our Trip Advisor page taken from one of our rooms last week - see Mey House Luxury Rooms & Breakfast).

It is a spectacular sight and well worth the effort but I agree that their appearance can be a bit hit and miss. I always use Twitter to alert me to when there will be a storm (@Aurora_Alerts) or you can see their website at softservenews.com/Aurora. To be sure of seeing the lights in the north of Scotland you will need a Kp number of 5 or higher (see the website for an explanation) and of course, a clear sky!

Good luck!

Edited: 7:56 am, January 16, 2014
Reply to: northern lights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wick
Recent Conversations