We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wick/Sinclair Castle advise please

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
Wick/Sinclair Castle advise please

We are interested in visiting the Sinclair Castle, wondering how easy it is to get to etc. We will be arriving by train, do we need to pre-arrange with a driver or is there taxi or bus service? Coming in from Inverness, how long is the train ride and can the trip be done round trip in one day, or is staying over advised? Also, what else is around the area?

Thank you

5 replies to this topic
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
11,355 posts
178 reviews
1. Re: Wick/Sinclair Castle advise please

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/wick/…index.html

The castle is 3 miles from Wick so I would imagine it would be better to just get a taxi when you are at the station rather than relying on the local bus service! If there are no taxis actually waiting then you could just phone for one - there will be numbers posted at the station.

However on checking the timetables it says the journey takes 4 hours which was a surprise to me - looks like staying over is a better option if you don't want to spend all day on a train.(Showing £48 return per person for example)

…scotrail.co.uk/…TimeTable

I have looked up this information for you - I haven't done the journey but perhaps someone with local knowledge will jump in and advise you.

Finally what time of year are you travelling (month)?

regards

Woody x

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Wick/Sinclair Castle advise please

Thank you, we will be traveling at the end of May 2013. I have looked at the timetable and I'm sure we will have to spend the night if we are to have any actual time to see things. Besides the Sinclair Castle, what else is in the close area to see?

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
11,355 posts
178 reviews
3. Re: Wick/Sinclair Castle advise please

Check that Undiscovered Scotland link at the beginning of my reply. You can click on any of the names of places highlighted in green which may give you some idea

Woody x

Wick
1 post
4. Re: Wick/Sinclair Castle advise please

You can get a bus from Inverness which takes just over two and a half hours

to wick.

sinclair Castle is five miles outside Wick no buses to it , but well worth a visit

You can also visit Old Wick Castle and the wick heritage centre in Wick itself

the Harbour is also worth a visit. There is also the Telford walks around the town, as Pultney was the first industrial town designed by Thomas telford.

plus there is also the Pultney Distillery.there is a lot of history to Wick if people take the time to check it out.

The Sinclair clan have a Clan gathering every five years at the castle.

Hope this is of some help to you

Ps the local people are very friendly and will help and advise you just ask

You will enjoy your trip

Enoida

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
123 reviews
5. Re: Wick/Sinclair Castle advise please

Hello Folks,

IF I am unlucky enough NOT to be able to secure accommodation at Ackergill Castle.

Quite reasonably they are reluctant to sell me one room for one night in mid-August/high season, when they might be able to let the whole Castle. Perfectly understandable as they are a business after all.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for any other options in the vicinity. It doesn't have to be in Wick, though we will be travelling from Durness that morning and need to be in Inverness the day after. Wick looked pleasantly 'half way' to me, with the added bonus of being in Gunn/Wilson territory.

I would be most grateful for any information or suggestions.

With thanks and kindest regards

Janet Wilson

Reply to: Wick/Sinclair Castle advise please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wick
Recent Conversations