We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection to train at Wick

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
182 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Connection to train at Wick

I'm staying on Orkney and would like to take the ferry from Burwick to John O'Groats, and then catch the train at Wick to Edinburgh. Ferry arrives at John O'Groats at 10:25. Train leaves Wick at 11:53. Can I get a taxi or bus in John O'Groats to take me to the train station in Wick on a Sunday morning in July?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection to train at Wick

Sunday may be a problem.

Playing around with a bus finder web site:

http://www.celticfringe.org.uk/postbus.htm

On Monday to Fridays a bus leaves the ferry terminal at 10.43 arriving at Wick at 11.23.

However on Sundays the bus leaves the ferry terminal at 10.33 and is shown as going to Inverness (arriving 13.25), not to Wick. If this is the case, perhaps you could catch the train from Inverness instead?

If you are wanting to get a taxi there is a list of firms here:

www.caithness-business.co.uk/category.php…

There doesn't seem to be a Tourist Information Centre in Wick or John of Groats to contact. The nearest is Thurso. It might be worth emailing them and asking them for advice. Details here:

…visitscotland.com/vs/…contactDetails

Edited: 5:50 pm, May 26, 2010
london
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection to train at Wick

I'm no expert on the north of Scotland, but I'm just wondering how the bus could go from John O'Groats to Inverness without passing through Wick as it's on the main road heading for Inverness

Edited: 6:06 pm, May 26, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
182 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection to train at Wick

Thanks for the information. I will check on those websites. I'm wondering if I would be safer to take the ferry from Stromness to Scrabster and get the train at Thurso at 11:53. Looks like I could walk from Scrabster to Thurso if necessary. Problem there is that there is no way to buy a train ticket in advance from Thurso, because there is no automatic machine there and the ticket office is not open on Sunday. And isn't buying a ticket on the train much more expensive than advance purchase?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection to train at Wick

The same applies at Wick - booking office closed Sundays, no machine. And yes it can be more expensive - in this case looks like £50ish on the day, £25 in advance

You can minimise the cost by getting your ticket on the train to Inverness and picking up an advance ticket on to Edinburgh there.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
182 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection to train at Wick

That's a good idea -- I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
182 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection to train at Wick

My hotel in Kirkwall solved the problem for me by agreeing that I could buy the tickets online now and have them sent by post to the hotel, which will hold them for my arrival. So I get the advantage of the advance purchase discount. Nice to have a cooperative hotel!

Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection to train at Wick

I would choose the Stromness to Scrabster ferry over the John O' Groats one, it is larger, the crossing can be pretty rough, done it many times. Good luck, from another Portlander from Caithness

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
182 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection to train at Wick

Thanks. Our trip was in July, and we took the ferry from Stromness to Scrabster. Very pleasant voyage. However, I would not recommend the train trip from from there to Inverness! Our train, on a Sunday morning, was very crowded, and seating space was cramped, so we were cheek-by-jowl with strangers for many hours. I spent quite a while on the little turn-down seat in the entryway of our car. (There was no first-class car.) But there is no alternative, unless you want to fly (which we did for our arrival in Orkney) or hire your own car.

Caleta De Velez...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection to train at Wick

It could go down the A836 to Thurso and then to Inverness

Caleta De Velez...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connection to train at Wick

No - the catamaran from Gills is much more fun!

Get answers to your questions about John O'Groats