We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

John Lennon and Durness

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
John Lennon and Durness

The Beatles legend enjoyed many a holiday staying with family in the Durness area. The tourist board with the help of John's cousin are to start promoting the area and this connection. The full article is on the link below:

…bbc.co.uk/1/…6284177.stm

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: John Lennon and Durness

Goanjock, thanks for the heads-up. Apparently the festival will include musical performances, poetry readings, film screenings and a dance event in a cave:

"John Lennon spent five summers in the area while he was young, staying on a croft in Sango Bay with his cousin and the landscape inspired Lennon's song In My Life. It has been announced that 1,100 tickets for the September festival will be released, with the line-up including the Royal Academy of Music who will perform a world premiere of a Beatles Prom. "

"Also on the bill are Nizlopi whose JCB Song reached number one at Christmas. A dance event is to be held in Britain's largest sea cave, and the poets Carol Ann Duffy and Michael Horovitz are expected to take part.

The Beatles connection is to be marked with screenings of the band's films and by family members talking about John Lennon's life."

Durness is a pretty remote place, but that might make this festival all the more special for those that make the effort to get there!

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: John Lennon and Durness

I read somewhere that George Harrison used to visit Donovan on Skye...

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: John Lennon and Durness

The Canadian artist to whom I serve as manager is among those who'll be visiting Durness to perform as part of the "John Lennon Northern Lights Festival" next month.

Indeed, it's a delightful way to be introduced to a beautiful place in the world. My experience with organizers of the festival in Durness is that they are most genuine. I believe their approach will bring goodwill and credit to the region, as well as to the legacy of John Lennon.

My artist is performing in concert in Glasgow on the night of Friday, September 28th - and then aims to be in Durness by early afternoon on Saturday (ie. by 2 or 3 p.m.). How early a start on the morning of the 29th should be given for the trip? I see Mapquest pegs the journey as being about five hours. I keep hearing, though, about single-lane roads - which is an abstraction to me.

What's it like driving from Glasgow to Durness, in practical terms? Any tips, suggestions as to how the trip can be made most safely and comfortably will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you! Ad

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,999 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: John Lennon and Durness

If you ask this question on a separate thread,you will probably get a better response.

not an area of Scotland i know well,but as lots of people will be heading to the festival and a couple of hours on to any times you have been given.

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: John Lennon and Durness

thanks, Uncle Gus - that sounds like a capital idea ( :

cheers, Ad

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: John Lennon and Durness

Hello Adrian22, are you talking about Allison Crowe? If you are, she has a wonderful voice. Have just been listening to some of her CD cuts from her website. Would have liked to see her perform but unfortunately will not be in that area at that time. Hope the concerts are a success.

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: John Lennon and Durness

hi Chrisky ( :

Indeed, it's Allison Crowe who trusts me to get her from place to place! and, now I've discovered this forum, my job is made easier - truly!

I'm glad you're enjoying her music. I serve as her manager because I love music, and what she does. So, it's a joy.

Not sure if you're meaning you won't be in the Scottish Highlands - or in Hamilton. FYI, Allison will perform in Waterloo, ON - Sept. 7!

Thank you for your kind words - and thanks everyone for your guidance!

cheers, Ad

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: John Lennon and Durness

Paul McCartney named Eleanor Rigby after a second hand clothes store at the bottom ot the Hotwells Road in Bristol.

The shop is long gone, but if you're sad enough you can go and stand on the Hotwells roundabout and imagine what it was like.

Aternatively you could get a life.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: John Lennon and Durness

Hope you got there without a hitch Adrian. Good luck to Allison for her show this weekend :-)

…bbc.co.uk/1/…7017926.stm

Harvard, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: John Lennon and Durness

My good friend Durrant MacLeod said the festival was wonderful, that it was relaxed, and all the musicians mingled and talked with the concert goers, making it a very memorable experience. I see nothing wrong with a tourism board getting people to take holidays to wherever.

The Highlands area is so hauntingly beautiful. Every scene is a postcard picture. What's the difference of seeing Stirling and the sights there, for the history and see where John Lennon enjoyed his childhood summers? It's all history, and there's always so much more to see when you go somewhere for a specific reason.

Get answers to your questions about Caithness and...