We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

Four adults looking to head to Aviemore for around 3nights over Hogmany. I saw a package at the Highlander Hotel which included dinner, bed and breakfast, ski hire and entertainment which included a highland night for hogmany. The highlander hotel hasn't got great reviews on here and wondered where the best place is to look for similar deals.

Any information/advice would be appreciated

thanks

Loch an Eilein
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water
Cairngorm Reindeer Herd
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Rothiemurchus
Forests, Nature & Wildlife Areas
northumberland
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

Highlander hotel?- dont know that one personally- but no doubt Woody may come on and advise you!

we stayed last year over Hogmanny at the High Range motel in Aviemore- with Hogmannay at the Motels Italian style bar/Resturant- couldnt fault it. However the room basis was room only, you had to eat out.

Much Cheaper to book ski hire, lift passes etc on the day of skiing at the Glenmore lodge on the ski road (Google it)- cheapest place i believe and good quality gear. The skiing is in the lap of the gods however- this year (or last?) we had limited skiing on packed pistes with a howling wind! (not good!)- certainly an experience- the years previous were excellent!

Plenty hotels to chose from but not cheap over new year. Try McDonald Highland Resort (various hotels in Aviemore centre).

Or Colymbridge hotel, just outside Aviemore. The Cairngorm hotel on the main road- or the High Range Motel, (really nice, but you have to pre book meals etc over new year and i think ours was about £60 a person this year).

Plenty of choice, just get booking now as come October all will be full!

Have fun!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

There's a highlander hotel in Newtonmore .... that's a few miles drive to the coylumbridge turnoff each day; about 20 miles to the ski slopes if this is the hotel.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

I think the Highlander Hotel is part of the Macdonald group on the same complex as the others in Aviemore ( i.e. the Macdonald Resort)

holidaywatchdog.com/19617-Aviemore-Highlande…

Aviemore area is extremely popular over New Year so book early to get the best prices. Grantown on Spey also has good entertainment as well as a Hogmanay party - have a look at the Grant Arms Hotel

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g190790-Grantown_on…

Woody x

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

If you're looking in and about Aviemore that makes a lot more sense than Newtonmore or Grantown, simply in convenience for the ski slopes. Were convenience your only priority, I'd be looking at Coylumbridge. Nice Hilton. If you want New Year entertainments, Aviemore makes some sense, no worries about late night cars, although despite renovations the area is still an erstatz concrete monstrosity :-) Very personal opinion obviously

Your nearest accommodation to the ski slopes is at Loch Morlich - but that depends on whether you like Youth Hostels :-)

If you're looking for other possible locations, try Carrbridge or Kingussie - or even the *much* quieter Boat of Garten, and of course Newtonmore and Grantown are good but not so close.

northumberland
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

Hi Woody

Forgot about the re-naming of the hotels in the McDonald resort!

Yeah, the Highland is a 4* one there!

Worry about ski packs being included as if you book these, even if there is little snow and terrible conditions the ski school will get you up there, if at all possible! Saw that last year, and a lot of folk were not having much fun!

However if the snow is good, its an excellent place to ski!

Just look at hire prices at the Glenmore lodge etc first- may be cheaper to hire on the day.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

Thanks for all the information. I think we will be happier in Aviemore itself. I think I have to agree with booking a hotel with skiing included so I will check out the Glemore lodge. I take it even if there is not much snow there are still other things to do in the area?

Thanks again

northumberland
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

Plenty to do in and around Aviemore if theres little snow, or too Windy- Chack out Aviemore on line to get an idea!

Have fun!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

Loads to do including fantastic walks

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/

outdoor activities geared to winter weather

http://www.g2outdoor.co.uk/winter-activities

Sleddog Centre - runs on snow and off

http://www.sled-dogs.co.uk/

Shopping

http://www.brodiecountryfare.com/

visitcairngorms.com/dbeatdrinkshop-Spey_Vall…

strathspeyrailway.co.uk/strathspeysteamf.html

I think this is open over Hogmanay.

Enjoy your trip

Woody x

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

The other option is to go to the green bar at the top of this page, and look at Holiday rentals, or what about a hotel outside Aviemore as it would be cheaper I guess. maybe spending the remainder on car hire, then you could perhaps see more ? whatever your choice, book early

10. Re: aviemore skiing trip for new year 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore