We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Topic
In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

Hi folks,

We're (3 adults) going to Aviemore for the first time this April and don't quite know what to expect. We'd appreciate views & comments please:-

1. What would the weather be like in Aviemore between

16th - 29th April? We come from a tropical country &

wonder if we need to bring woolies at this time of the

year. Perhaps we should play safe and dress in

layers?? We want to travel as light as possible!

2. What blooms can we expect in mid - late April? We

like photography and are wondering if the colours of

spring are around then.

3. What should we not miss re the sights of Aviemore?

We like taking walks and admiring nature and think

Aviemore may present unspoilt nature.

Thanks & cheers!!

Mentioned in this post
Aviemore
Aviemore
Aviemore and the Cairngorms, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,987 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

The one thing that is certain is that it's going to be colder than Malaysia. In fact if it's above 10C it'll be surprising. Other than that expect everything from a late snow to grey overcast damp days to bright sunny days, dead calms to windy, dry to very wet (and cold)

They'll be around 15 hours of daylight though

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

As Alanrow has said there is only one thing predictable about our weather - and that is.. its unpredictable! You will still need warm layers of which the last one should be a T shirt(just in case!!) It certainly will not be tropical even if its unseasonably mild - and last year we had snow late on in April, about the 25th I think - so be prepared for every eventuality.

2. Daffodils will still be out, some early tree blossom perhaps but things like rhodedendron and azalea will only just be starting to bloom. Again it depends on what the weather is like between now and then.

3. This is an easy one - Aviemore is surrounded by stunning scenery, beautiful mountains, lochs, moorland and pine forests as well as hundreds of walking opportunities both flat and hilly. I suggest going into the Tourist Information Office in the main street when you arrive and pick up some leaflets. Not to be missed is Cairngorm Mountain (Stunning views on a clear day) Loch an Eilein on Rothiemurchus Estate and the Green Loch between Glenmore and Ryvoan. One of the prettiest little lochs where I do a lot of photgraphy is Loch Pityoulish on the road between Coylumbridge and Boat of Garten. Its quiet, unspolied and very photogenic.

walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/loch-an-eilei…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/aviemore/.../inde…

cairngormslivingwalks.com/aviemoreglenmore/h…

www.pagemost.com/Loch-Pityoulish-Highland

Hope you have a lovely holiday. I live about 14 miles from Aviemore and know the area well so if you have any other questions just ask. By the way I hope you are thinking about hiring a car when you are here as it will make exploring a lot easier.You can also hire bicycles at Rothiemurchus Visitor Centre and they will have maps of the main trails in the surrounding area - a great way to get around from photo opportunity to photo opportunity!

Woody x

Mentioned in this post
Aviemore
Aviemore
CairnGorm Mountain
CairnGorm Mountain
2,236 Reviews
Aviemore, UK
Loch an Eilein
Loch an Eilein
1,080 Reviews
Aviemore, UK
Rothiemurchus
Rothiemurchus
693 Reviews
Aviemore, UK
Boat of Garten
Boat of Garten
Aviemore, UK
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

Tks Alanrow & Woody,

I'll play safe and bring along my waterproof light coat to act as my last top over 2, maybe 3 other layers. 10 degrees will certainly be cold for us considering our temperatures here in Malaysia averages 35 degrees all year round.

Hopefully we get some sunny days though, as grey skies are not appealing for photography.

Do you know of a local car hire company (preferably based in Aviemore or thereabouts) that I can communicate over e-mail &/or book a car over the internet?? I realise the big ones I'm looking at over the internet require pick-ups and drop-offs at either the airports or the big cities like Inverness, Aberdeen etc.

We're coming into Aviemore from Windermere, Lake District by train and will arrive about 4.20 p.m. It's helpful if we can pick up the car in Aviemore, spend 7 days+ exploring Aviemore ( staying at Scandinavian Village), drive on to Loch Rannoch for 7 nights' stay, then drive back to Aviemore (drop off the car) for our National Express coach night ride to London on 29th April.

Really need to get in touch with that car hire company!

Tks again for your feedback

Mentioned in this post
Aviemore
Aviemore
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
London
London
England, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

www.weirsofaviemore.co.uk

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

Thanks Woody. I've sent them my enquiry and hope to hear from them soon.

Scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

Hi crazytraveller-have you tried asking the Inverness car hire companies if they will drop off and pick up the hire car from your lodgings at the Scandanavian Village? It will cost more but may be less bother for you.

Remember to take warm trousers, hats and gloves and footwear for your trip. As woody says last year we had lots of snow and cold weather late on in the spring. If you are planning to take the funicular railway up the Cairngorms it will be freezing up there.

I've just remembered talking to some holiday makers who arrived who had no warm clothes and did buy items from the local charity shop. Maybe not ideal, and there are only two small charity shops in Aviemore so if you are extra small or extra large then probably nothing would be there for you, but if you did not have all your warm gear with you you may find items there.

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Aviemore
Aviemore
Scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

Another web site that may help tell you about the Cairngorm area is www.visitcairngorms.com

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

Hi qwerty,

Let's see Weirs' response first on the car hire.

As for warm clothes, I'll not take the risk when the weather report for Aviemore is a low of 2 degrees and a high of 10 degrees in April!! We'll each bring along at least one 100% woollen sweater and one light but waterproof coat.

Thanks for your advice!

Mentioned in this post
Aviemore
Aviemore
9. Re: In Aviemore for the first time - weather & sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, October 23, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore