We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going 20-23 March for some skiing!

London, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Going 20-23 March for some skiing!

Anyone else going to be up there at that time? We're a group of 4 guys that are going up for a weekend, hopefully to get some good skiing done. I've been following the weather forecasts for some time now, it still looks 50/50 if there will be good skiing that weekend! Anyone know what the chances are?

I've got my transport (London - Aviemore by overnight train) sorted out, as well as accomodation (MacDonald Highlands Resort). I haven't bought lift passes or done ski hires yet, thought I would wait a while to see what the conditions were or even buy them when we arrive. Is this advisable?

Also one of the guys in my group is looking to take beginner lessons, any suggestions for good coaches there? He doesn't mind joining a group (to get cheaper lessons) but bearing in mind it is a low season are group lessons impossible to find?

Can't wait to go... so excited!!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going 20-23 March for some skiing!

Check out this website if you haven't already done so - and choose "Cairngorm" . I would wait till you arrive for lift passes and ski hire incase the conditions have changed.

You can maybe even ask the question about beginner lessons by emailing them, though I'm not sure they will be able to recommend one trainer over another. I'm sure someone else will jump on with the info you require.

Sorry can't be of more help

Level Contributor
6 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going 20-23 March for some skiing!

Wait until the day to buy passes and hire.

Lessons have a look at www.theskischool.co.uk. They are based on Cairngorm Mountain and its cheaper to buy a package, lesson lift pass & hire than to buy seperately

London, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going 20-23 March for some skiing!

Thanks for the replies! I've been checking the updates at http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk and now the visitscotland website, the skiing conditions for this week look just about doable, hopefully colder weather and some snow will arrive again next weekend when I go.

Will follow your advice and not commit to anything yet, but will make a few calls to determine prices, availability, etc etc.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: Going 20-23 March for some skiing!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore