We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aviemore, Fort William or Inverness???

Malta
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Aviemore, Fort William or Inverness???

Hi we will be visiting Scotland in June/July. This is our 3rd visit to Scotland and previous stays including Aviemore and Loch Lomund.

Since we will be 2 adulds and 2 children of 2 and 5, what is the best base you would recommend - Aviemore, Fort William or Inverness?

We usually rent a self catering and keep this as a base for all the holiday, commuting to attractions, castles, mountains etc....we would also like a doze of city life for shopping but Inverness is notfar off from both FW and Aviemore.

Where do you recommend as a base please?

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aviemore, Fort William or Inverness???

Hi

This year we are staying in Skye, Fort William and then Aviemore. Last year we stayed in Fort William for 3 nights then Aviemore for a week.

in all honesty i think that Aviemore has more to do, especially with kids and also if it is raining but that could be because i know the Aviemore area so well. on saying that, when i replied to your post on the Fort William forum i did find quite a lot to do when looking into your question and people came up with varying suggestions.

Could you split your time between them both? For example last year we stayed in Fort William then drove to Aviemore via Inverness as my hubby had never seen Loch Ness before! that way we got the best of both worlds.

If you have to stay in one location, you can travel to the other for a day so you could either - stay in Aviemore but visit the Fort William area, have an idea of what you want to do so you have the day planned. Or do vice versa. For both i would have an evergency list for rainy days, just so you know what is available as a fall back!

What i would say is that Fort William seems to be aimed more at "the great out doors" ie its all about walking, skiing and expecially mountain biking whereas Aviemore has more that appeals to everyone.

Fort William and the surrounding are is def worth a visit so def try to at least visit if you decide not to stay there.

hope this helps a wee bit, either way hope you have a great holiday :)

jen

aviemore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aviemore, Fort William or Inverness???

Hi,

I would recommend Aviemore as you have children. It is more suitable for the family market with lots of activities and attractions on offer for all levels of ability. Fort William is fantastic but it more for the extreme sports you could say. Inverness is only half an hour and you can drive or take the train there for a day out.

Also as FW is on the west coast it is more likely to rain! Staying in Aviemore you could even drive to FW and stay a night if you have a tent whilst keeping your base in Aviemore? It is about an hour and a half's drive from Aviemore and the mountains are very dramatic.

Some accommodation providers will do 3 or 4 night stays so you could do both.

Look at these two websites which detail all each area has to offer:

www.visitaviemore.com

www.visit-fortwilliam.co.uk/fw_mainintro.html

Have a great holiday!

3. Re: Aviemore, Fort William or Inverness???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore