We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is Aviemore like christmas week

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
what is Aviemore like christmas week

Hi i am just looking for some info and advice really. I want to go away with my 3 year old daughter for christmas to get her into the whole christmas spirit thing this year, and i have been looking up Aviemore as i have always wanted to visit Scotland. I was just wondering what Aviemore is like at christmas and what activities thee are for children. Also i was looking at staying at the macdonald resort as they have a christmas package on. I wondered if that is the best place to stay to get the feel of Aviemore and for entertainment is there places you can at night time with children. Basically i just want to know anything about Aviemore so i can make the right decision. I read somewhere on the internet there is a christmas parade and if anyone knows anything about when that is could you also let me know please. I will be grateful for any info, Thanks

CairnGorm Mountain...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

Hi Lou

There is a street parade in Aviemore with the Reindeer on Christmas eve - Santa and his sleigh and team visit many of the villages. There may or may not be snow it's not guaranteed but if it's going to snow anywhere in the UK it's likely to be here! Husky Dog Sled rides, steam train, mountain railway, reindeer centre, wildlife park (with a Polar Bear and Siberian Tigers) - there will be plenty to keep your 3 year old thrilled! try www.visitaveimore.com for getting a handle on the range of accommodation on offer. Macdonald and Hilton will both do Christmas packages - they are large groups and there are more traditional hotels and accommodation on offer - jut depends what you are looking for. Hope to see you at Christmas!

Tania

aviemore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

Hi There ...have a look at this for what was on last year: www.scottishtourismguide.com/ac1208.htm There really is so much to do in this area and Christmas is a brilliant time to visit...very magical for children snow or no snow. This year past there was no snow but it got very frosty and white between Christmas and New Year. Many of the things to do have been already mentioned.Macdonalds is a good base but is a large hotel and there are some really lovely more independant hotels. Coylumbridge is great for kids with kids shows on every evening and a fun house and swimming pool on site. You can use the Coylum and Macdonlads facilities even if you are not staying there. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with Aviemore at Christmas.

Have a great time if you decide to come.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

I would suggest you check out the Caringorm Hotel. It is across the road from the train station and looks like a small castle! Very Scottish Hunting Lodge decor inside. The rooms are nice and the food is some of the best I've had in the UK. Great roasts, wonderful roast chicken- good fish and chips. It is a small hotel , but the McDonald resort is next door if you want to do anything there. I'd also try for a santa trip on the steam train and take her up the moutain on the funicular (you can take the bus to the base station- catch it right outside the hotel).

Hillsborough...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

Arent I the lucky one. I will be in Aviemore for Christmas. Had a great time there during the summer so Christmas will be magic. Just hope the roads are open as we drive up. Dont care if we get snowed in once we get there.

Hillsborough...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

Sorry

I should have asked. Where would the locals recommend for Christmas Day Dinner

scotland
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

We allways go the new year week & have diner either in cairngorm hotel or the old bridge inn as they dont upt prices for the occassion...... U'll enjoy where ever you go this will be our 4th visit this year :-)

millisle- co down
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

Alan, We have been travelling from N.ireland to Aviemore for the past 4 years we have truly fallen in love with the place and the locals....we have a two year old girl and a six year old boy, we are heading to Aviemore Highland Resort for our first Christmas away from home..we have stayed in Resort before and honestly we cant complain about a thing, we stay in what I believe is the best off the four hotels-Highland Hotel! The Aspects Resturant is beautiful...we chose to stay dinner bed and breakfast this really cuts down on the cost of eating out...as for the area there is a ton of thing to do with kids..you cant go wrong, Inverness is only 45 minutes away by car and great for a bit of shopping!

Hillsborough...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

Thanks for your reply. We stayed in Macdonalds Dalfaber during the summer and thats why we booked to go back again for Christmas. I was wondering about the roads at that time of the year but everyone assures me that the main road will be kept open. I dont care if it gets blocked when we get there though!!!.

19. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 09, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore