We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is Aviemore like christmas week

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
what is Aviemore like christmas week

Hi i am just looking for some info and advice really. I want to go away with my 3 year old daughter for christmas to get her into the whole christmas spirit thing this year, and i have been looking up Aviemore as i have always wanted to visit Scotland. I was just wondering what Aviemore is like at christmas and what activities thee are for children. Also i was looking at staying at the macdonald resort as they have a christmas package on. I wondered if that is the best place to stay to get the feel of Aviemore and for entertainment is there places you can at night time with children. Basically i just want to know anything about Aviemore so i can make the right decision. I read somewhere on the internet there is a christmas parade and if anyone knows anything about when that is could you also let me know please. I will be grateful for any info, Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Aviemore
Aviemore
Aviemore and the Cairngorms, UK
Newcastle
Level Contributor
446 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

I know there is a reindeer centre near Aviemore which would be lovely to visit with a small child. There is also a husky centre which I'm sure do sled rides. I'm sure the Aviemore locals will be able to give you more information.

Mentioned in this post
Aviemore
Aviemore
south yorkshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

Thanks for the info. I will have a look on the internet see if i can find anything out about the raindeer centre.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,017 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

<<< raindeer >>>

It probably will

Newcastle
Level Contributor
446 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

Yep it probably will!!! Just had a couple more ideas for you. At the Coylumbridge Hilton, which is on the outskirts of Aviemore, there is a huge soft play centre which little ones would enjoy. The Strathspey Railway which you can catch at Aviemore station does lovely steam train rides and I'm sure there'll be special trips on for Christmas. Also your little girl might enjoy a trip on the funicular railway in the Cairngorms.

Mentioned in this post
Strathspey Railway
Strathspey Railway
1,104 Reviews
Aviemore, UK
Aviemore
Aviemore
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

The steam train does santa trips where the big man comes on the train for the kids.

The reindeer trips take you up into the mountains where you can feed the reindeer by hand.

The sled dog rides are very good but also quite expensive.

The macdonald is fairly soulless but if you get a good price it is fine as a base, everything is literally 2 min away.

If it snows the christmas feel will be great but be aware it can get very cold. I was there last winter and it got down to -10.

DML
Hallett Cove...
Level Contributor
129 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

Hi. I've lived in Aviemore since 1993 and love the place. It can really come into its own at Christmas time although the experience is so weather dependent. When it snows at Christmas (and on Xmas Eve especially) it is unbeatable. There is lots to do in and around the area. To answer your q about the parade, this runs every year from the village hall car park (about 3/4 mile north of the village centre) down to the Cairngorm Hotel opposite the train station. Local kids dress up, the Strathspey pipe band lead the procession and there are real reindeer pulling Santa's sleigh. At the Cairn, there is mulled wine, mince pies and carol singing followed by fireworks. Its a great way to start the festivities off. But if it rains, its not quite the same... although still good fun and better than sitting in and watching telly

Mentioned in this post
The Cairngorm Hotel
The Cairngorm Hotel
1,473 Reviews
Aviemore, UK
Aviemore
Aviemore
south yorkshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

Thankyou for the info.

London
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

My wife and I are thinking of going to Aviemore for christmas this year. There will be 5 adults and 2 children. We wanted to have a white Christmas and would love to stay in a Log cabin in the mountains so that we might possibly have snow on Christmas day! We have never been to Aviemore and don't know Scotland so have no idea where to stay. Can anyone please recommend certain areas which we should look to stay in, in order to have snow and for their to be activities for adults and children. Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Aviemore
Aviemore
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

hey zeus

there are various lodges however these will be very xpensive at christmas week and there will be no guarantee of snow. on saying that, if it does snow it will be amazing :) you could try -

www.greatnorthlodges.co.uk

or

ww.cairngormbungalows.co.uk - not lodges but still nice accommodation :)

the hilton coylumbridge also have lodges, have a look on visit scotland. Aviemore is pretty festive for the majority of december so you don't necessarily have to go for christmas week. we go in november for bonfire night, theres loads going on.

hope that helps!!

Jen

Mentioned in this post
Aviemore
Aviemore
Aviemore, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what is Aviemore like christmas week

hi as a local with a child of 4 yrs old i can probably help firstly there is absolutly loads to do in the local area the is a parade every year on christmas eve with real reindeer and pipersand fireworks you can also feed the reindeer on the hill yourselves organise trips from the reindeer centre daily except christmas day as they need to rest from all that flying about there is the highland wildlife park in kincraig near by very good polar bear arriving in the autumn numerous outdoor activities skiing, sledgeing, walking, climbing, golf , cycling too much to mention there are two or three places to go if the weather is bad swimming indoor playfor kids etc i would advise a b&b/guesthouse as it will be a bit cheeper as public can still use mcdonald resort facilities at a reasonable price also the hilton hotel in coylumbridge has kids indoor stuff to also there is the extreen dream indoor climing wall too. dining out around is good to cairngorm hotel in aviemore, andersons in boat of garten, and craggan mill near granton on spey all good and kid friendly too there are others too we live and run a guest house in boat of garten approx 4-5 miles (less than 10 mins) from aviemore if you wish to check us out we can be found on the visit scotland web site just search for guest house in boat of garten you will find us were call the boat house guest house.mail to theboathouse4u@yahoo.co.uk if i can be of any further assistance

harry

Get answers to your questions about Aviemore