We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk from Aviemore to CairnGorm mountain

Which Aviemore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
103 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Walk from Aviemore to CairnGorm mountain

Hi, I would like to do the walk from Aviemore to CairnGorm mountain and have a few questions:

- Will I walk along small roads or lanes, or will I walk on country paths?

- Is the trail signposted?

- How long does it take for an average hiker to walk (one-way)?

- Are special gears required for the walk, e.g. torch?

Thanx.

Scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Walk from Aviemore to CairnGorm mountain

You can get off and walk if there is snow on the hills during the skiing season, as the snow acts as a "barrier" and stops the plants getting damaged by the thousands of would be walkers, not a few. It is also surprising how many come up with shorts and small tee shirts. As someone said in an earlier post, we had snow last week.

Inverness
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Walk from Aviemore to CairnGorm mountain

I was at the Cairngorms today and had a short guided walk by a ranger - we were told on several occasions that you could get access to the mountain by going up in the funicular. If you want to get to the top you have to walk up all the way.

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Walk from Aviemore to CairnGorm mountain

as others have said, the reason that they do not encourage people to do it is due to the environmental impact, you only have to compare the top of Cairngorm with the Nevis Range to understand.

14. Re: Walk from Aviemore to CairnGorm mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 30, 2009