We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.

After planning a tour photographing birds around Scotland, I had a problem with the car at the last moment. We were about to give up but in the end we tried to make the trip by public transport. It was not easy to always find the train, bus and taxi connections (Isle of Mull, Chanonry Point, Aviemore, Isle of May ...) but we managed to get to all the places that we had reserved and make all the photos that we wanted ... except in Aviemore.

We were in a campsite about 13 km from Aviemore, in the middle of nowhere. It was easy to get there by taxi. The problem was that I needed to be in Aviemore the next day at 4:00 AM since I had reserved a session in a hide to photograph Ospreys. No problem, I thought, since at least one company (http://www.taxisinaviemore.com/) announces itself like this:

"We are the only taxi service in the area that can confidently offer our services at what ever time we are needed. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including all public holidays throughout the year."

In advance, I sent them a message through their website but they did not answer. Also in advance, I called to tell them what I needed, they said no. I called later to tell them that I could go another day, always at 4.00AM and that the price did not matter. I was willing to pay as an airport transfer to Inverness if needed. Well they continued saying no, the feeling is as if those 13 km at that time was a very exotic request.

Other taxis told me that they could not do the service and I did not have any problem since they did not advertise as a 24h company.

Finally I did not get it. It was the only part of the trip that was not possible to do by public transport. It is a shame especially for the way they advertise, they guarantee a service that is not really reliable.

48 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.

The company state (on their website) their belief that they are the only company which offers the service they are alleged to provide so that differentiates them from others.

--

And the OP has provided no evidence that they don't offer that. They turned a single booking, that is not the same as not offering the service. If they turned EVERY booking at a particular time, they would have point, but they haven't. They have offered a single case and provided no evidence as to why it was turned down

Edited: 8:20 am, July 30, 2018
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.

“They have offered a single case”

And they contacted the company twice by phone and once by email even offering to alter their plans. Still the company could not or chose not to provide the service. For what reason I know not.

Again I would state that the company’s confidence in their ability to deliver a service is misplaced.

Level Contributor
3,761 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.

And they contacted the company twice by phone and once by email even offering to alter their plans. Still the company could not or chose not to provide the service. For what reason I know not.

---

So a single case then......

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.

“So a single case then......”

Indeed. Not disputed.

We are not going to agree about the advertising so rather than continue the tennis match of opions I shall take my leave.

Level Contributor
3,761 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.

If the OP could show a systematic refusal of jobs early in the morning, their assertion may have substance. But right now, all it is conjecture

Edited: 9:03 am, July 30, 2018
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,363 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.

I’ve missed what was deleted.

But to Alan;

“Organise a Vacation”

That was the OP’s own words!

Isn’t that what a Travel Agent does!

Game, set and match!

Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.

If I was a taxi 🚖 firm I'd want to say I could offer 24/7 to attract the lucrative fares like an early morning run to Edinburgh Airport..

It surely makes good business sense to open the door to any requests and then be selective. Is that any different to a builder who never gets back to you if it's a job that's more hassle than it's worth to him. It's just common sense.

Highland without a car will have some limitations is my thought and that's just common sense too.

It's very obvious to me as a Highlander but I appreciate not everyone will agree with that.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.

Ok, finally I understood. Many answers agree that a deceptive ad is acceptable in a rural-tourist environment.

I did not know, my mistake.

Fortunately, this is not generalized, the rest of transports and lodgings of the Highlands worked as advertised, in my case.

Thanks

David

Reply to: Aviemore Taxis company: Not reliable when you need it 24h.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore