We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

We will be coming to Scotland from the 9th through the 24th of August. Our first six days will be filled with the International and Fringe Festivals and then we will be going to the Highland Games in Stirling. We are looking for a 6 day schedule taking us to Skye and The highlands returning to Edinburg on the 23rd as we have an early morning flight on Sunday. We would like to include dinner at The Three Chimneys as a possibility, and they have seating available, at least for the moment. Scenery (photography), some hiking, and food (which includes Whisky) are main interests. Prefer B and B's and guesthouses. Of the four of us two have been here before.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Highland Hotel
Highland Hotel
553 Reviews
Fort William, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

Bump

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
24,547 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

Okay here goes......Stirling to Glencoe/Fort William/Glenfinnan from there head for Mallaig and catch the ferry to Skye. Then find a base (accommodation) that you like in Skye (perhaps look at Kyleakin, Broadford or Portree) before leaving Skye via the bridge to Kyle. Head for Inverness and then back to Edinburgh. That is a suggestion as a skeleton of a route but it would be easy to flesh it out ;-).

Perhaps two nights in the Glencoe/Fort William area and 2/3 nights on Skye and a night in the Inverness area.

Mentioned in this post
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Glenfinnan
Glenfinnan
Lochaber, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Kyle Hotel
Kyle Hotel
374 Reviews
Kyle of Lochalsh, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
The Glencoe Inn
The Glencoe Inn
674 Reviews
Glencoe Village, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,547 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

p.s. The above skeleton of a route could easily be full of great scenery (photography), good food, whisky (distillery tours) and lovely walks/hikes

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

Thanks Jock...I knew someone would step up to the mark!!

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

Thanks for the assistance. Any thoughts on The Three Chimneys Restaurant on Skye and places to stay near there, and in Portree. Also recommended Moderate Hike in The Cullins and the best place to center a stay in the Highlands?

If you were doing six days on Skye and the nearby (ferryable) Islands which would you choose?

Also a B and B near the airport to catch a 7:30 am flight to Gatwick?

We've been to Skye before and have taken the ferry back to the mainland at Mallig (beautiful ride to the ferry) but the other couple with us hasn't.

I appreciate your responses and I am attempting to narrow down our choices; but as you know, it isn't easy.

Thanks again for any and all of your help and guidance, Les

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,547 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

I would look at http://mistyisleboattrips.co.uk/times-prices/ and include a day of fabulous scenery etc. combined with hiking/exploring http://mistyisleboattrips.co.uk/times-prices/ as for another Island if you or your friends haven't explored the Fort William/Glencoe etc. area I would look at that rather than another Island. Less travelling (and you would pass the area on the way to Skye) stunning scenery, great walks and plenty good food.

Mentioned in this post
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,547 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

Here's a great walk near Fort William walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/steallfalls.… another idea for the area http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/gondola-info.asp I'll add a few other idea's later ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Oxford
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

Skye is wonderful, but consider getting across to the Outer Hebrides too. The Cullin on Skye are real mountains (like the Himalaya, it's singular) and can be challenging, and both times I've climbed Bla Bheinn, I've managed to lose the path and get quite hairy, quite quickly!!! Harris in the Outer Hebrides has the most beautiful icing sugar sand and aquamarine water beaches with hardly a soul on them. Hey, no less than Trip Advisor recognise them as the best islands in Europe!! (visitscotland.com/blog/…). Make the effort and be richly rewarded.

Get the train from Fort William to Mallaig. Time it right and this could be a steam train. The West Highland Line is recognised as one of the World's top ten most beautiful rail journeys. The shadowing car route "the Road to the Isles" is beautiful and gives greater scope for visiting the White Sands of Morar, and the Glen Finnan monument (and Harry Potter viaduct!!!), but the train is magical. Then get the ferry across to Armadale, (turn left and visit the Sleat Peninsula...few do, and there is a magical little sandy beach at the end of the "off road vehicle or walking boots only" track) and then drive through the whole of Skye to the north and Uig, where you can catch the ferry across to the Outer Hebrides (Lochmaddy, preferably, rather than Tarbert, which is further north) and those really, really lovely "When the sun shines here, why would you want to be anywhere else in the world" beaches. Chilly Atlantic water, though! You can then drive through the whole of the very changing scenery of the Outer Hebrides up to Stornoway, from where another ferry will take you back to Ullapool on the mainland for the drive back through some of the most magical mountain scenery Scotland has to offer. And, the ferries are really not that expensive, even with a car. We were pleasantly shocked how inexpensive they were, and though nothing of modifying our plans in the fly and 'losing' certain purchased tickets. CalMac (the ferry operator in Scotland) does great circular route tickets that will fit your plans.

I hope you get good weather. If it is raining, just wait an hour: it honestly will change!!

Oh, enough eulogising now.....

Felicity

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
The Hebrides
The Hebrides
Scotland, UK
Himalaya
Himalaya
129 Reviews
Kassel, Germany
Isle of Harris
Isle of Harris
Lewis and Harris, UK
Europe
Europe
World
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
West Highland Hotel
West Highland Hotel
651 Reviews
Mallaig, UK
Morar
Morar
Mallaig, UK
Stornoway
Stornoway
Isle of Lewis, UK
Ullapool
Ullapool
Scottish Highlands, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,547 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

For some info on walking/hiking around Glencoe have a look at walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/glencoe.shtml

Mentioned in this post
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skye and The Highlands 6 Day by car

You've all given me a great deal to digest and I've spent the day having a Mohs procedure on some basal cell carcinoma on the side of my nose and so I shall be at the books and the PC all day tomorrow doing research. I will no doubt be back with some further questions by the weekend.

Thanks again, I shan't forget you all.

Les