We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather Question

New York City
Level Contributor
167 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Weather Question

We are leaving for 13 days in Scotland on 5/16. We will be driving a circle around the country, visiting Edinburgh, Invegarry, Portree, Stirling and most points in between. We are scheduled for falconry lessons outside Edinburgh. My question is do we need to bring boots? If we are walking around all different areas, may we encounter muddy areas and such? I would hate to take up all that room in the suitcase and not need them. Thanks. Anita.

Level Contributor
3,772 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather Question

If you going off paths and even on a lot of paths themselves you'll almost certainly want boots. It's not been the worst spring, but there is plenty of mud about. Also its a safer option, and if you are going anywhere near animals help against tics

Edited: 9:22 am, May 11, 2013
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,473 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather Question

We're having a cold wet and windy spell at the moment. Yes, bring boots - I wear mine to travel if I don't have the luggage space.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,293 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather Question

It's been a dry spring, but the rain has now arrived and if you plan to do any hill walking you will still need boots.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather Question

If you go into the hills, there are areas which rarely dry underfoot, and boots are a LOT safer than trainers.

All you can say about likely weather is it won't stay the same for all 13 days. It'll be sunny, cloudy, rainy, hot, cold for some parts of they trip.

Right now it has been raining heavily in the west for the last 24 hrs and you may spot that this weekend's Gourock Highland Games have been cancelled due to excessive runoff. However I spent yesterday afternoon in the Trossachs and at no point did the (lighter) rain interfere with driving, or looking at scenery. I was all for a walk, but my wife and mother were less keen for some reason ...

Agreed you can wear reasonably lightweight boots on the aircraft - it won't be uncomfortable; I've done that myself.

New York City
Level Contributor
167 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather Question

We've decided to take the boots. Thank you all. We will now be taking another suitcase to carry all the foul weather gear. Glad that we can check two each for free.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather Question

"another suitcase to carry all the foul weather gear"

As Corporal Frazer used to say "ye'r all doomed" Look him up ...

7. Re: Weather Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 14, 2014