We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic drives and walks advise?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic drives and walks advise?

Hi,

Myself and my wife are visiting the highlands next week. So far we have booked a couple of nights at Aviemore and 4 at Fort William. We would like some ideas or suggestions for a couple of scenic drives?

We also love to do a bit of walking and are looking to do a couple of walks around 5-9 miles long. Anu suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks

Dan

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic drives and walks advise?

Loch an Eilean is a lovely circular walk near Aviemore and is about 5 miles

walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/loch-an-eilei…

Check out walkhighlands for walks around Ft William too. Steall falls is my favourite though not that long

walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/fortwilliam.…

The drive to Mallaig passing the white snds at Arisaig and views out to the islands is lovely

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic drives and walks advise?

From Aviemore head up past Coylumbridge and walk in Rothiemurchus Forest. Nice circular walk round Loch Morlich; not quite flat but very easy walking.

Have to agree with above suggestions ...

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,138 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic drives and walks advise?

The Walk Highlands website is excellent so check that out. Another thing you may want to consider is getting the bus along to Grantown on Spey or Nethy Bridge or Boat of Garten and walking back along the Speyside Way to Aviemore. You should be able to find details on the Walk Highlands website.

Not a long walk but very scenic is the one to the Green loch behind Glenmore Lodge. Pick up a map at Glenmore Visitor Centre which is on the ski road to Cairngorm Mountain. You walk up to the walk on forestry tracks then back via the hillside which has superb views and some very old Scots Pine trees.

Enjoy your holiday - hope the weather holds for you and DO try to visit The Mountain Cafe in Aviemore after your walks - great food and amazing home baking!

Cheers

Woody x

cambs
Level Contributor
532 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic drives and walks advise?

Hope you are blessed with good weather!

If it is a nice day the day you transfer from Aviemore to Fort William I suggest you make a dday of it and take this, rather long, but VERY scenic route

- continue north from Aviemore to Inverness

- thru Inverness and pick up signs for Ullapool

- but soon turn southwards via Achnasheen and Kinlochewe to Torridon

- take the time to travel the 'dead-end' road along the north shore of Loch Torridon

- return to Toridon and head south to Shieldaig (be sure to take time to pass thru the village itself)

- soon after Shieldaig pick up the coast road to Applecross

- quick beer at the Applecross Inn then take the mountain pass route to pick up the 'main' road again

- on round Loch Carron and via Plocton to Kyle of Lochalsh

- photo opportunity at Eileen Doran castle then on to Fort William

longish trip but soooooo worthwhile

london
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic drives and walks advise?

totally agree with Beeble about going around the Applecross peninsula and over the mountain pass ... google Bealach na Bà (translates to Pass of the Cattle) to read about it ... I did this drive a few weeks ago and loved it

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic drives and walks advise?

Thanks for all the ideas, looked up them all and now want to do most of them. Do you have any suggestions for restaurants in either town, somewhere romantic in Fort William would be good as its our anniversary.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,138 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic drives and walks advise?

Sorry the words romantic and Fort William don't go together in my head but hope someone proves me wrong!!

W x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic drives and walks advise?

I think the Crannog Restaurant in Fort William would be pretty good. Think it is the best in FW. Unless you are as rich as Donald Trump, in which case go to Inverlochy Castle. You could also check out Old Pines in Spean Bridge but I haven't been there for many years. Should be reviews on TA for all these and you can check out their websites.

For Aviemore I'd recommend booking a table for a meal as despite the many tourists, the restaurants all shut at 9 or earlier so it can be hard to get a table. The Old Bridge Inn is a very nice pub at the south end of the town with a few tables by the river and on a very quiet road. Nice food and nice beer. Inshriach Nursery apparently does the best cakes.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,138 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic drives and walks advise?

Cairngorm Hotel in Aviemore does nice food and there is also a wee restaurant at Rothiemurchus which does lunch and evening meals. Its called Ord Ban - had lunch there recently and it was very good,

For a special meal you could try Andersons at Boat of Garten

http://www.andersonsrestaurant.co.uk/

or Muckrach Lodge

http://www.muckrach.co.uk/restaurant.html

Wx

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,860 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic drives and walks advise?

A lovely drive from Fort William is out to Mallaig via Glenfinnan/Arisaig/Morar.....there are some lovely walks around Glenfinnan as well as geat beaches to explore around Arisaig and Morar......for a romantic meal you won't go far wrong wrong with booking a table near the window at The Glenfinnan House Hotel.....great food and a stunning view :-)

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186545-d2… and here's a photo I posted taken near the window in the restaurant tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1029082-d…

p.s. and for some snaps of the Arisaig/Morar/Glenfiinan area have a look at flickr.com/photos/… Glen Nevis is also lovely with a great walk to Steall Falls at the end (you can vary the length of walk depending on where you start from).

Edited: 3:49 pm, September 07, 2012