We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in May?

Toronto, Ont.
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in May?

Hi there,

I'm heading to Glasgow May 4 - 20 and was wondering what the weather is 'typically' like at that time of year? I was there many years ago during the month of August, and it rained for all but the last 4 days of our visit, so I'm hoping for a bit more sunshine this time!(?)

Also, any info or links you can provide for touring around would be most helpful (like major attractions, etc.). Will be using public transportation for most of my travelling. I'm hoping to see as much as I can while I'm there.

Cheers from Toronto!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,814 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in May?

Probably rain at some point, probably cloudy at some point, probably sunny at some point. Even in May there is a slight (very slight) chance of snow.

It may be so cold & damp to make you wish you'd chosen Florida instead or it may be so hot that Florida would have been the cooler option

Toronto, Ont.
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in May?

Thanks for the info - I think! lol

Hmmm, sounds like I won't be packing lightly for this trip.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in May?

It can be and frequently is glorious in May, but we can't make any promises, so yes bring a foldaway lightweight rainjacket that hopefully won't be needed but is there just in case.

Check out the Glasgow overview and attractions bit on this page for places to visit. They hopefully will include all the fabulous free museums, most of which are very easy to get to by public transport. For instance a few minutes on the subway will get you from Buchanan Street in Central Glasgow out to the West End where you will find what is currently one of the most popular museums in the whole country, the Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery. Just a hop skip and a jump across the road you'll find the wonderful Transport museum, great for kids and big kids alike, then a stroll up the Byres road will get you to the Hunterian Museum and the Charles Rennie Mackintosh House at the University. You could spend a whole lot of time in the West End with its bohemian shops, cosy cafes and the delightful Kelvingrove Park - ideal for an al fresco lunch that you might have picked up atmarks and spencer simply food or Peckhams deli on the Byres road.

check out www.seeglasgow.com or www.glasgowguide.co.uk

Plenty to see and do in central Glasgow too - super restaurants and nightlife, Theatres, music venues, cinemas, shopping malls and department stores and more - see www.list.co.uk for entertainment/restaurant listings.

In less than 1hour the train will get you out of the city to the seaside town of Ayr - an ancient burgh over 400 years old and although it bears the scars of unsympathetic twentieth century planners has plenty of hidden gems to be discovered and enjoyed. Have a look at my Inside Pages (click on my pic and follow the links) on attractions in this area, particularly Alloway and Ayr and Things to do (which covers Culzean Castle the National Trusts jewel in the crown)

You'll won't struggle to fill your time thats for sure!

cheers

PC

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in May?

As this is the period when most undergraduates sit their final exams I can guarantee the weather will be glorious providing you stay near a place with a University!

The beauty of coming in May is the longer days.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in May?

<<It may be so cold & damp to make you wish you'd chosen Florida instead or it may be so hot that Florida would have been the cooler option>>

lol

I think we can safely assume it won't be as hot as Florida !

The thing is you can't ever accurately predict the weather in this country and unfortunately there's no guarantee you won't be washed out again !

On the bright side, and echoing what Smithstone said, it always seemed to be sunny when you were sitting exams at school and uni and they were mainly in May so you could be lucky.

Toronto, Ont.
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in May?

Thanks everyone for your input, I do feel better hearing that it is doubtful of snow in May. Toronto's weather can be very unpredictable too, but I don't ever recall getting snow in May!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for some half decent weather. PC, thanks a bunch for the info!

Cheers,

Toronto

Glasgow
Level Contributor
193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in May?

He he - this one made me giggle....the idea of Glasgow having 'typical' weather!! Wouldn't that be nice?!

The only thing you can rely on is being surprised by the weather - you just have to hope it will be a nice surprise! Either way, you'll enjoy yourself Chiquita... and the public transport will keep you entertained even if it's raining. The conversations I've had on buses... there's no group of people quite like Glaswegians..!

Toronto, Ont.
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in May?

Actually I'm surprised that no one commented earlier about the 'typical weather' before you! lol

I know you don't have typical weather or there, I was just hoping to get a 'feel' for what it may be like at that time of the year.

You're quite right about bus rides being fun with Glaswegians, I was just a teenager the last time I was there, and do recall such bus rides! Very friendly, funny people. It's been almost 28 years since I was there, so I'm sure there will be many changes, and surprises in store for me, and I look forward to them all the same.

Cheers!

9. Re: Weather in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 26, 2009