We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow's Hogmanay cancelled due to extreme weather

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
294 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow's Hogmanay cancelled due to extreme weather

Just announced on the BBC:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6221557.stm

Chin up!

1. Re: Glasgow's Hogmanay cancelled due to extreme weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:04 pm, January 02, 2007
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,880 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow's Hogmanay cancelled due to extreme weather

Edinburgh also cancelled, with the BBC having to broadcast a "here's one we recorded earlier" firework display.

Here in Stirling the concert was cancelled but the fireworks went off as planned.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow's Hogmanay cancelled due to extreme weather

tell me about the Edinburgh one being cancelled.

we had been checking all reports throughout the day and evey one said the Party was going ahead,even at 6.00pm they said it was going ahead the weather was atrocious with heavy driving rain and high winds .It should have been cancelled then,but no the organisers in their greed to grasp as much money as they can said it would go ahead even though everyone with tickets wanted it cancelled as they did not wish to be out is such terrible weather.six of us had meet at mt place on the south side of Edinburgh before heading into the city center at 8.00pm.bear in mind we had each paid £37.50 for tickets for the Ceilidh in the Gardens and did not want to miss out due to a No Show.We arrived in the city center about 8.40pm and had a drink in a pub only to find out about 20 minutes later that the Party was cancelled.We managed to get into the Mitre bar on the Royal Mile for a drink ,there was an enjoyable live band on ,but the bar was so busy you could not move and this was only at 9.45 pm before the place started to get really busy,it was so crowded once you lifted a drink to your lips you could not move your arm to put it down again..We decided to cut our losses and head back to a friends house on the outskirts of edinburgh,but by this time all the buses had stopped running,eventually managed to get back to the south side of the city by taxi about 11.30pm nd saw in the new year with my friends son and his pals,a most enjoyable time was had.One of his friends who wasn't drinking gave me a lift the 2 miles home to my place.

had the organisers of the Street party had made the decision to cancel at 6.00pm instead of at nearly 9.00pm many people would not have been inconvenienced by having to travel into the city and they try and get home again,also alternitive arragement by many people in the city to go elswhere could have been done.certainly had we known at 6.00pm what was going on we would have mad other arrangement and had a great deal less hassle.

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow's Hogmanay cancelled due to extreme weather

well said unclegus - seems to be a case of grab what you can moneywise to keep the town centre pubs etc happy.

The weather deteriorated through the day and you didnt have to be Randy the Magnificent to see that it wasn't going ahead very early on, so statements from Edinburghs organisors that all was well were totally out of place. Some areas did not report it till 11.00pm, by which time most people were either on the way or had seen commonsense.

Hopefully most people found alternative arrangements and managed to get sorted out.

In a way it was back to the old Billy Connolly wander round the streets till you found a party and say Jimmy sent you!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
118 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow's Hogmanay cancelled due to extreme weather

I wasn't at this event but we had watched the weather get worse and worse and were sure it was going to be cancelled.

I couldn't believe they left it so late - I want to know what happened to the poor people who travelled from Fife as the bridge was closed by about 8pm - how did they get home and did the organisers reimburse them if they had to take taxis via Kincardine!

If I had been messed about like this then I wouldn't by a ticket for next year.

6. Re: Glasgow's Hogmanay cancelled due to extreme weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 22, 2009