We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skye from Glasgow or Edinburgh ?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Skye from Glasgow or Edinburgh ?

Which is shortest and/or best route to get to Skye taking in other attractions?

cambs
Level Contributor
532 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skye from Glasgow or Edinburgh ?

I guess the most obvious is to take the A82 from Glasgow via Dumbarton Loch Lomond Crianlarich GLencoe and Ballachulish to Fort William

NOw you have 2 choices

west to Mallaig and cross by ferry

or head a little further north then head west (passing Eileen Donan castle) to Kyle of Lochalsh and cross by bridge

Amother posibility is to head north to Inverness on A9 then turn back south via Achnasheen Kinlochewe Torridon Shieldaig Applecross LochCarron and Plocton to Kyle of Lochalsh

Ideally take the route to Skye via the ferry crossing from Mallaig

Then return to the mainland by the bridge and take the scenic route babk home via Applecross and Torridon (arguably the best drive on the British mainland)

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skye from Glasgow or Edinburgh ?

Your question is a bit vague as it is dependent on what other "attractions" there are that you want to take in?

As said it is is shorter/quicker to get to Skye from Glasgow but being that Edinburgh is merely 40 miles along the M8 from Glasgow it all depends where you intend to start from and what attractions it is you want to see!

If you could answer those questions maybe then we can suggest a route.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skye from Glasgow or Edinburgh ?

Apologies for being non specific but currently most things could be in !! I guess I am quite taken with going via Loch Lomond and have already spotted a really nice b and b close by. The dilemna is that I either have to start or finish in Edinburgh as my son is performing in the Edinburgh fringe and need to be there for one or two nights. However, it seems that may be a plus as I could do a round routs starting at Glasgow and ending up at Edinburgh. Due to recommendations on these forums I am keen to take the crossing at Mallaig. Seems like the suggestion from beebie for the scenic route back via Torridon could be on the cards too......

4. Re: Skye from Glasgow or Edinburgh ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 18, 2015