We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

Just looking at different hotel options for our trip to Glasgow in May...

Are the beds in double hotel rooms REALLY double sized - or are queen sized beds more common?

My father-in-law is recommending the Premier Inn chain - I can't seem to find room details on their web site confirming a queen or king bed...shall I assume double?

As I can't imagine two adults sleeping comfortably on a double bed, I'm guessing it would be safer to book two twin beds?

Is anyone familiar with the bed size in the Premier Inn George Square Double Room?

Thanks!!

YTT

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,682 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…UK_and_Ireland_sizes

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,165 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

Rooms at PI's are generally fairly spaceous. DOn't know about the one you mentioned but other PI's I have stayed in are plenty big for two people. Recently stayed in the Marriott and as usual they had a great bed.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/why/rooms.html

Tels you right there that they have king sized beds in most hotels

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

PremierInn beds are certainly big enough for two people. Larger than a "normal" double in my experience.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

"Double" beds are 140cm wide - plenty big enough for 2 normal size adults who are "well-acquainted".

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

Unless you wish to share a bed but remove all possibilities of actually touching each other?

6. Re: Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, January 10, 2014
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,320 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

'As I can't imagine two adults sleeping comfortably on a double bed' - why ever not. That's what they are for.

Unless you are grossly fat.

Edited: 3:52 am, January 09, 2014
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,320 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

Sorry, just re-read that, dont mean to imply that you personally are grossly fat!!

Just that in the UK a double bed is just that, a bed for two people.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

Maybe it's a North American thing, but I have had the same question, when we book a room here, the choices are clearly stated, queen, king, or single beds. Although I have no problem sleeping next to my husband, we are of an age where we like a good sleep :) and a "double" bed ie 54 inches wide, just would not suffice LOL. To the OP, we are also going in May, but booked into the PI Buchanan Galleries, can't wait!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bed in Double Hotel Room - Really Double??

I think it's the size of British houses so we're all just used to smaller beds. "Queen" is not a British bed size. According to the wikipedia link upthread, a British "king" bed is the same size as an American "queen". Friends of mine bought a British king sized bed but had to sell it when they moved house because it literally would not fit in their new bedroom. The new house was a Victorian terraced house. New-build flats have even smaller bedrooms. So even though a larger bed may be what you're used to, it is perfectly possible for two adults to share a double bed for years on end without suffering sleep deprivation.